Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Ick. I didn't mind the pink bikini of 2 weeks ago but this is just yucky. I would have pulled my DD out of the class. The lyrics to the song aren't as nasty as I assumed (hadn't heard the entire song before) but the dance moves and the outfits are clearly sexual IMO. That mom can say these moves are 'just dance moves' but I've been to a strip club and these are the moves and the oufits the strippers use on stage.

nov04 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

They're amazing dancers but the moves and costumes make me sick.
    Jos
    dd1 10/2004 prenatal stroke survivor w/ speech delay and dysarthria
    dd2 02/2007 asthma

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I don't see a thing wrong with the outfits. They are wearing tights (there is a close up of the girl with the solos and she is definitely wearing tights). There are many outfits in our upcoming ballet studio performances that are like that. DD#2 (3) is dancing as Jasmin and has a one-piece outfit that looks similar on stage -- there is skin tone fabric between the purple pants and bikini like top, but on stage it looks similar. ETA one of the jazz classes is dancing to a song from the Little Mermaid and they have tops like that too, attached to the pants via skin-tone fabric. On stage, it looks like bikini tops like Ariel wears.

As for the dancing, I'm guessing it was some sort of hip hop performance/competition? If you don't want your children dancing like that, register them for classical ballet, not hip hop.

In terms of dance ability, those girls are very talented.
    Last edited by bubbaray; 05-14-2010 at 10:05 AM.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

I actually have more of a problem with this routine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXCDv0IorMQ At least 2 of the girls are also in the 1st video, but this second one is when they were 7, not nine.

I think my problem with this second video is that there are so many other ways to do this dance, KWIM? I mean, Beyonce is all about the booty. My Boyfriend's Back, not so much.
    Melissa

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Here's a third video, same trio, same outfits, but for a Christmas concert?! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdu7b...eature=related

That is just weird.
    Melissa

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I saw this yesterday and was flabbergasted that any parent would think this type of dancing was appropriate for a child under the age of 18. I would have pitched a fit if my daughter had been in that dance class.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

tmahanes is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    Here's a third video, same trio, same outfits, but for a Christmas concert?! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdu7b...eature=related

That is just weird.
    I think someone else changed the music because it looks like the exact same dance as the other link you posted!

AshleyAnn is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post

That is just weird.
    I'm fairly certian this is the same show with a different song recorded over the orginal music. I think the first video (single ladies) is worse.

I don't think all hiphop dance classes requires shimmys, booty shaking, and hip thrusts. My high school's dance squad did hip hop dancing and did very very little of those moves. I've seen other children's hiphop dance recitals that were tasteful and had outfits that cover the torso and don't involve thigh highs.

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

The sexualization of children is abusive, in both a family and cultural context.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.

>>> I hadn't heard about this. I just watched your link and I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes. As the mom of 2 daughters, one of whom is 7.5, I cannot imagine her up there on stage doing *that* or dressed like that. Just the thought of her in that costume (so sexual) is enough to make me feel like a line has been crossed, forget about the suggestive dance moves while wearing the costume. I am absolutely horrified, to be blunt.

I agree, word-for-word with the minor variation that my oldest girl just turned 8. It's the costumes AND the dance. I don't usually get all public about these kinds of posts, but that video just gave me a queasy, sinking feeling in my stomach.

My kids don't watch music videos ever and thus my 8 year's old idea of a cool dance is something akin to a person's reaction if she found herself standing on an anthill. Even I, the non-dancer, know that's not very good dancing. And this video makes me eternally grateful for her innocence.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast