Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    Melaine is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Ok, my curiosity got the better of me and I watched it. SO much worse than I imagined. The costumes were bad but the dancing was even worse, IMO. If they are doing this at that age, what will they be doing in a couple years. It is horrifying to me that this is acceptable to some parents and those in the audience. If this is ok, what would be inappropriate???

It was just on GMA. They kept talking about how inappropriate it is while showing the video over and over again!
    SAHM to:

Quote Originally Posted by momof2girls View Post
    It was just on GMA. They kept talking about how inappropriate it is while showing the video over and over again!
    Great, so perverts are going to see that and go find it online and watch it over and over. Great. Honestly, this makes me so sad.

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Not going to watch it. I landed on Toddler's and Tiaras once and kept it on for about a minute before getting sick to my stomach.

I really need to just let this go, but I was reading some of the comments (talk about stupid) and several mentioned they were dancers and had seen MUCH worse and talked about dances being so inappropriate they would be disqualified from competition. This is honestly making me re-think the whole idea of dance class for my kids! Do I even want to get into it?

caleymama is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I hadn't heard about this. I just watched your link and I'm sitting here with tears in my eyes. As the mom of 2 daughters, one of whom is 7.5, I cannot imagine her up there on stage doing *that* or dressed like that. Just the thought of her in that costume (so sexual) is enough to make me feel like a line has been crossed, forget about the suggestive dance moves while wearing the costume. I am absolutely horrified, to be blunt.
    mama to 2 lovely and loving DDs

A little OT, but I think it is the likes of Trump and his defending the lingerie pics for Miss USA that only add to de-stigmatizing the oversexualization of girls. I saw trump on Larry King and he justified the Miss USA lingerie pics b/c "that's where society is going". So does that make it right? Then it trickles down to little kids and their parents who justify it by saying, "well, that's what is normal in society now." Interestingly, when asked if he would have let Ivanka take those pics, he said No Way! Great, so it's ok to capitalize on other girls who are desperate for fame as long as it's not your daughter who was born into it. This also bring to mind that Kar"trash"ian family and how they are pimping out their 2 young teen daughters.
    SAHM to:

Quote Originally Posted by momof2girls View Post
    A little OT, but I think it is the likes of Trump and his defending the lingerie pics for Miss USA that only add to de-stigmatizing the oversexualization of girls. I saw trump on Larry King and he justified the Miss USA lingerie pics b/c "that's where society is going". So does that make it right? Then it trickles down to little kids and their parents who justify it by saying, "well, that's what is normal in society now." Interestingly, when asked if he would have let Ivanka take those pics, he said No Way! Great, so it's ok to capitalize on other girls who are desperate for fame as long as it's not your daughter who was born into it. This also bring to mind that Kar"trash"ian family and how they are pimping out their 2 young teen daughters.
    What an adult (Miss USA Contestant) chooses to do is their business. If that's "where society is going," whatever, but that doesn't mean it's appropriate for kids. Yuk. I saw this on GMA this morning too and was horrified. Appropriate for the Vegas stage? Yes. Appropriate for kids? No. Nowhere. Never.
    Mom to DD - my thriving preemie - Jan 2009

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Those girls are incredible dancers but the outfits AND the choreography are COMPLETELY INAPPROPRIATE for that age. The parents have the girls doing Britney Spears dance moves. What a fantastic rolemodel for 9 year old girls! not.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Melaine View Post
    I really need to just let this go, but I was reading some of the comments (talk about stupid) and several mentioned they were dancers and had seen MUCH worse and talked about dances being so inappropriate they would be disqualified from competition. This is honestly making me re-think the whole idea of dance class for my kids! Do I even want to get into it?
    Yes, there are sooo many wonderful reasons to get your daughters in dance class. I only took 5 years of it in grade school but some of the things I learned have helped me my whole life. Just do a good job of researching your options! I'm really hoping that Sisi has an interest in ballet. I think it's beautiful and classic- even with the guys in tights.
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast