Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast
    Globetrotter is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

That is disturbing. They look like strippers!! How could the parents allow this??
    Last edited by Globetrotter; 05-14-2010 at 04:06 PM.

I think it is disgusting and appalling and it makes me feel depressed. I am simply shocked that many of you feel that this is ok?????

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I stand by my earlier opinion. This is dance competition today, ladies. This is cheer competitions too.

If you google the studio, they are clearly very BIG into competitions. This wasn't some wack-job studio. They are in it to win -- this is what wins in dance and cheer. Period.

Check out YourDanceChannel on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/YourDanc...38/iJW6Bp2GGjk -- this girl won 1st place, she's 6.

Frankly, I'm waaaay happier if my child is dancing, regardless of the style, than sitting at home playing video games. At least they are getting exercise, learning how to move to music, gaining confidence from performing on stage and in competitions/exams, learning how to take direction from teachers, etc.

Most of you who are shocked by this video would probably chew me out and call CPS for how my 3yo will be dressed/made up Saturday and Sunday for two performances (each 3 hours long, filling a 1,000 seat professional theatre). Both my girls LOVE it. My otherwise introverted 6yo comes to life on stage. So, while neither of their routines are Beyonce bumpngrind, if that is the kind of routine they end up performing one year, oh well. My girls know what goes on in the studio/on stage, stays there.
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

liamsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

WOW... incredible. Those little girls can DANCE!

How horrible is it that my first reaction was jealousy? I wish I could dance that well.

I agree that in dance competitions it is completely acceptable to wear makeup and have as many sequins as possible. What I hate about these costumes is that they clearly are designed to resemble lingerie. Two-pieces, thigh-high stockings, a choker and gloves. Perhaps a single piece (other than the thigh-highs) aren't offensive, but all together it's a dance costume inspired by Frederick's of Hollywood or Moulin Rouge.

That said, I don't remember any specific moves that I thought were inappropriate, but I only saw it once. I'm not offended by the song choice either. I don't think issues like this are all that new. When I was a kid, it was Madonna. My poor mother.

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    I actually have more of a problem with this routine: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zXCDv0IorMQ At least 2 of the girls are also in the 1st video, but this second one is when they were 7, not nine.

I think my problem with this second video is that there are so many other ways to do this dance, KWIM? I mean, Beyonce is all about the booty. My Boyfriend's Back, not so much.

Where's the pole?

They're 7 and strutting their stuff. Yes, they can dance, but really really is this how 7 year old's dance now days??? And they won first place, so it must be how dance competitions are...yuk.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    I stand by my earlier opinion. This is dance competition today, ladies. This is cheer competitions too.

If you google the studio, they are clearly very BIG into competitions. This wasn't some wack-job studio. They are in it to win -- this is what wins in dance and cheer. Period.

Check out YourDanceChannel on Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/user/YourDanc...38/iJW6Bp2GGjk -- this girl won 1st place, she's 6.

Frankly, I'm waaaay happier if my child is dancing, regardless of the style, than sitting at home playing video games. At least they are getting exercise, learning how to move to music, gaining confidence from performing on stage and in competitions/exams, learning how to take direction from teachers, etc.

Most of you who are shocked by this video would probably chew me out and call CPS for how my 3yo will be dressed/made up Saturday and Sunday for two performances (each 3 hours long, filling a 1,000 seat professional theatre). Both my girls LOVE it. My otherwise introverted 6yo comes to life on stage. So, while neither of their routines are Beyonce bumpngrind, if that is the kind of routine they end up performing one year, oh well. My girls know what goes on in the studio/on stage, stays there.

word.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Fair enough, I do get that perspective. But where is the line? At some point it goes into indisputable 'unacceptable' territory. For example, if someone asked a child to wear - say - pasties, that'd not be OK. A Justin Timberlake / Janet Jackson routine would not be OK. I think asking where that line is is a reasonable question. And of course "whatever is generally accepted right now in competitive dance" isn't the answer.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

mamicka is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    Fair enough, I do get that perspective. But where is the line? At some point it goes into indisputable 'unacceptable' territory. For example, if someone asked a child to wear - say - pasties, that'd not be OK. A Justin Timberlake / Janet Jackson routine would not be OK. I think asking where that line is is a reasonable question. And of course "whatever is generally accepted right now in competitive dance" isn't the answer.
    I agree with your point. Clearly the situation in the posted video was sexualizing the little girls. But to me it's the combination of everything together that makes it inappropriate. Just the dance moves? I don't have a problem with it. Have my kids heard this song & we dance around to it? Sure. The outfits? Clearly sexual IMO. The whole combination? I wouldn't want it for my daughter & I do wonder about the parent's judgement.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Okay, it showed up on FB, so I finally decided to watch it. Wow, those girls are GOOD. I mean, really good. That said, I think the moves are more appropriate for HS. I used to teach and my HS students did a dance with a lot of those moves. But they wore a LOT more clothing. And somehow it didn't seem as out of context watching them do it.

I think the outfits area bit over the top, and probably contribute to people's reactions. I know my Dh would blow a gasket if he thought my kids were dancing like that at 8yo. He didn't even think it was appropriate for my HS students to be dancing like that.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

Holy crow! I feel sick and sad after watching that. I could only get two of the videos to work, the Christmas one and the second one. Honestly, I'm saddened on so many fronts.

I'm so sad for all women. Now little girls can't learn to dance unless they dance like this? Of course they can. My girls are. But how sad that this is what is valued in dance competitions.

As for it doing no harm to those girls. Sorry, I've been the little girl and it does do harm. I didn't do anything even close to this sexual at that age and yet, I grew up thinking that being "sexy" was what I should strive for. I placed so much value on my looks and attracting boys/men, and I"m intelligent and did really well in school. I can't even imagine what these girls will go through if they don't have more to fall back on than dancing like this.

There are way to many dance studios to choose from for this to happen accidentally. The parents of these girls have chosen this studio because they value this type of dance as well. No way, no how would my daughters ever be dancing to that choreography in those costumes at that age. That's a very conscious choice I'm making on their behalf. Is the only choice their parents can make between video games and dancing like this????

And if this dance choreography isn't sexual, then what is? I mean that sincerely. The only thing that could make it worse, imo, is if they added a boy into the mix and they touched their breasts.

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast