Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    sue_g is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Need recommendations for water bottles for camp

What BPA free water bottles do you recommend for children for camp? It would be for a 6 year old.

I really like CamelBak water bottles for my 5 year old. They have stainless as well. Here's a link http://www.amazon.com/CamelBak-0-4-L...4807783&sr=1-1.
    DS1 5.10.05

DS2 12.10.08

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I wanted something insulated so I went with two Themos containers:

http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Nissan...d_bxgy_k_img_b

I haven't received them yet though so no info on how good they are.

We do LOTS of camping/outdoor stuff and I led Boy Scouts for years. I would personally stay away from the new "rage" of aluminum bottles that seem to be everywhere. I can't figure out why someone would want to put a cold beverage in a container that is made of material that heats up incredibly fast!

I would go for a wide-mouth variety so that you can put ice cube in it easier. Wide-mouth varieties are also much easier to clean. Fill it with LOTS of ice in the AM and as it melts through the day, he'll still have plenty of water that's cool to drink. Nalgene and Camelbak are my two favorite brands. Camelbak makes a variety with a straw and "bite-tip" for drinking. It doesn't leak. You simply bite the mouth piece and suck. My daughter (17) loves hers because she can drink from it while driving and not have to tip the bottle to her face, blocking her view. My 10 y.o. wants one for our car trip this summer and so do I. If you get a wide-mouth without a straw, I'd recommend an insert for the opening. Sometimes they come with the bottle. If not, they're available for a couple of bucks extra. The insert has a smaller area for drinking and keeps the liquid from hitting you in the face/spilling all over, when you turn it up to take a drink.

I don't know what you have in your area for shopping, but Cabelas.com, Campmor.com and many other places carry these items.

Beth

liz is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JElaineB View Post
    I wanted something insulated so I went with two Themos containers:

http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Nissan...d_bxgy_k_img_b

I haven't received them yet though so no info on how good they are.
    We have this one and we love it. You can find them at Target.

thomma is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Last summer we used Foogos and they worked really well keeping water cold. Now for school we use the camelbak ones a PP recommended...love them but don't know how they'll be for cold drinks.

kim
    ds&dd -7!

Quote Originally Posted by thomma View Post
    Last summer we used Foogos and they worked really well keeping water cold. Now for school we use the camelbak ones a PP recommended...love them but don't know how they'll be for cold drinks.

kim
    ds&dd -7!
    Is the .4 liter bottle just for younger kids? Is it kind of like a sippy cup? From the picture, I can not tell if it is fora a 6 year old or not.

Quote Originally Posted by thomma View Post

kim
    ds&dd -7!
    Quote Originally Posted by GonnaBeNana View Post
    We do LOTS of camping/outdoor stuff and I led Boy Scouts for years. I would personally stay away from the new "rage" of aluminum bottles that seem to be everywhere. I can't figure out why someone would want to put a cold beverage in a container that is made of material that heats up incredibly fast!

I would go for a wide-mouth variety so that you can put ice cube in it easier. Wide-mouth varieties are also much easier to clean. Fill it with LOTS of ice in the AM and as it melts through the day, he'll still have plenty of water that's cool to drink. Nalgene and Camelbak are my two favorite brands. Camelbak makes a variety with a straw and "bite-tip" for drinking. It doesn't leak. You simply bite the mouth piece and suck. My daughter (17) loves hers because she can drink from it while driving and not have to tip the bottle to her face, blocking her view. My 10 y.o. wants one for our car trip this summer and so do I. If you get a wide-mouth without a straw, I'd recommend an insert for the opening. Sometimes they come with the bottle. If not, they're available for a couple of bucks extra. The insert has a smaller area for drinking and keeps the liquid from hitting you in the face/spilling all over, when you turn it up to take a drink.

I don't know what you have in your area for shopping, but Cabelas.com, Campmor.com and many other places carry these items.

Beth
    How would a child drink from the wide-mouth Nalgene bottle or is there a different version that is better?

I really like our Thermos Foogoo cups. I like that they are stainless steel, insulated, and have a covered straw. The thermos keeps water cold in a hot car. The foogoo is a bit on the small size for school age kids, so we're moving up to the 18oz size (I already have one in this size for myself, and love it).
    http://www.amazon.com/Thermos-Nissan...ref=pd_sim_k_6

"How would a child drink from the wide-mouth Nalgene bottle or is there a different version that is better?"

They can do it, but an insert for the mouth of the bottle is better. They are very inexpensive ($2-3ea.) and make the opening much smaller. This keeps ice from hitting them in the face, etc.

Beth

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast