SpaceGal is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Quick Q: Rashguards?

Do they all have SPF 50+? I have two rashguards...but I can't tell if they have SPF 50 in them. Do all of them have it? I read the label but there's nothing that says SPF 50 on it. They were both from Target.

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceGal View Post
    Do they all have SPF 50+? I have two rashguards...but I can't tell if they have SPF 50 in them. Do all of them have it? I read the label but there's nothing that says SPF 50 on it. They were both from Target.
    No, they don't. If it doesn't say SPF 50, it's not.

Of course there's some question as to whether the SPF in clothes even works, but I figure it's worth a shot.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Do they make you hot, just looking at them makes me think the kids would be so hot in them.

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think the Target rashguards are 30spf. They do work cause my 5 year old has one that he's been wearing since last summer and it kept him sunburn free in Mexico last summer and this spring!

codex57 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Isn't the fact that there's material there a way to provide some amount of spf, but it doesn't wear off like sunscreen? I remember reading an article somewhere listing the spf values of common clothing, like a white t-shirt was 6 spf or something like that.

SpaceGal is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I'm so confused! I'm thinking that one of them is SPF 50 because I bought it last year and my SIL got the same one and she only buys them for the SPF since she's in Florida. The other one I bought cuz it was a Cars one and DS loved it...not sure about that one.

The Cars one is 80% Poly, 20% Spandex. The plain one is 83% Poly, 17% Spandex.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I thought that UPF ratings have to do with the weave of the fabric. (And for things like clothing or tents, it's UPF vs. SPF. LL Bean or Land's End explained it a few years ago but I've forgotten the difference!)

The fabric that most rashguards are made from is breathable and wicks moisture away, like "performance attire" (i.e. - UnderArmour, anything with Dri-Fit/CoolMax/etc.) does for athletes.

Wearing the rashguard has a dual benefit - you've covered more of your skin AND the weave of the fabric provides some protection.

FWIW - The Circo ones Target has now are UPF-50.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Do they make you hot, just looking at them makes me think the kids would be so hot in them.
    They're breathable and IMO quite a bit more comfortable than a layer of safe (physical block) sunscreen.

Isn't the fact that there's material there a way to provide some amount of spf, but it doesn't wear off like sunscreen? I remember reading an article somewhere listing the spf values of common clothing, like a white t-shirt was 6 spf or something like that.
    Remember that a WET t-shirt is SPF nothing, while a wet rash guard is still quite effective.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Some that are easy to find and have 50+ SPF are Carters and Gymboree
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

conniez is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

What do you guys think of the Old Navy rashguard swim sets? I checked one out since it was on sale and i'm not sure what the material is supposed to feel like? It felt like a tightly weaved polyester swimsuit (nothing special), but maybe that's how they're supposed to feel?