Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    sariana is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm not sure if this would help you or not, but most (all?) states have a standard curriculum. Have you checked NJ's Department of Education web site to look up the standards for 4th-, 5th-, and 6th-grade math? That might give you some idea as to what he will be expected to know.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

OK, I have a dumb question -- have your children been in French school (ie., instruction in French as opposed to English)? If so, I would "coach" them or prep them in math -- not so much in the math, per se, but in how to read (quickly, in a test scenario) math questions in English not French.

My DD#1 is in French Immersion and, generally speaking, the FI schools here do poorly on the Grade 4 (English only) standardized testing because Grade 4 is the first year of any English instruction in the FI program. By the time of the Grade 7 testing, the FI students do as well or better than the English trac students. The language of the testing is important in understanding the question, KWIM?

If your children have been going to English instruction schools in France, then the language of testing shouldn't be an issue.

HTH
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Quote Originally Posted by bubbaray View Post
    OK, I have a dumb question -- have your children been in French school (ie., instruction in French as opposed to English)? If so, I would "coach" them or prep them in math -- not so much in the math, per se, but in how to read (quickly, in a test scenario) math questions in English not French.

HTH
    There are no dumb questions!

They are in a total French schoool...everything and everyone speaks French only...their classmates get English courses for 2hrs a week DS and/or DD either help the teacher if required or they read an English book. They don't actively participate because the level of English taught at the school is very basic for them. At home the kids speak English to me and French to their father and younger brother and we hope to continue this in the States if we can.

The past 4 yrs we have them alternating reading an English book then a French book in their free time. My son is currently reading the Artemis Fowl seris in English and Toby Alone by Timothee de Fombelle in French...he is able to read two books at a time and devours books in no time. He reads about 2 to 3 bks a wk easily. I believe both books are targetd to 6th Graders so I think he is reading comprehension in Engish is high....his writing and spelling may be a little rusty but we have tried to keep it up.

For my daughter she read Little Women in January/February and she started the Redwall series this month and IMO has good comprehension of what is happening and can answer questions to show she understands. She reads much slower in English then in French but is also reading in both languages above 3rd Gr. Between her and DS she will have the most problem with the written English language but I think she will catch up fairly quickly since she has an excellent understanding of the French grammer and spelling.

And I agree with you about the reading and understanding in English in a timed test format is something we will need to practice a bit. Although they have taken standarized time test here...their daily test are not timed strictly for anyone in the class by the teacher...they let them finish it or miss recess to do so.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Why not just let him take the test, without special preparation?

The point of a placement test is to find out where a kid is now, and then place them into the appropriate class based on the knowledge they have. Prepping him for the test might lead to an inflated score, and placement into a a class he's not really prepared for yet.
    Because standardized test taking is a skill. The 5th graders in the current system have been taught to that test: in the wording, style of answers, etc. Also the French system may not exactly align with the system the OP's son is moving into, but that doesn't mean he is not capable of working at the higher level.

In our district, the level of math one is tracked into in elementary school can have a significant impact on the math you take through high school. And it is not supposed to be true, but it is well known that your math level in 7th and 8th grade, affects your ability to test into the highly regarded local math&science magnet school. This may not be the case for the OP's new district, but it is in many.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2