Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default I'm looking for good books/resources on managing hormonal issues in women...

that is a more natural approach, as opposed to meds.

I know that something has been out of "kilter" with me, ever since having my 2nd DD. I have had episodes of PMDD (self diagnosed, but it is like PMS x1000, so I'm pretty sure), hormonal acne, moodiness, and weird periods where I am heavy for 2-3 days, then nothing for a day or two, then spot for another 7 + days. My OB wasn't of much help, honestly. I get that I'm 40 and my body is changing, but the moodiness? The acne? WTH? And the bit*hiness....it's awful.

I loved the way I felt and looked when I was pregnant. My mood was stable, I had the clearest skin ever, and obviously no PMS or PMDD. I wish I could recreate that exact hormonal balance, lol.

I don't currently take any meds and haven't ruled that out, but I would like to educate myself as much as possible on the topic. I do feel that to some extent, hormones can be regulated a bit by what we eat, sleep, lifestyle, etc. I want to try that route first.

Any good resources that you recommend?
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

I'll be watching this as I probably could have written it (depending on the time of month anyway )! Hope others are more helpful!!!
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I don't know of any books that I think "wow, this is 100% the best advice ever and will solve all the problems." But these two both have very helpful insights and advice to offer. I would see what ideas and strategies you could pull out of them for your own health improvement:

Fertility, Cycles, and Nutrition

Women's Moods, Women's Minds: What Every Woman Must Know About Hormones, the Brain, and Emotional Health
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

Clarity is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

This is me too. I talked to my OB about PMDD and she checked my estrogen levels and then prescribed a progesterone cream. I'm supposed to follow up with her next month to see if it's helping. I'm 37 and my dd2 is 20 months now. I posted about PMDD a few months ago b/c I can be angry and awful about once a month. The last time I had a really terrible mood swing I tried to explain to my husband. I told him that really, when I'm "in that moment" I hate everyone but I hate myself most for how awful I am.

And I've got the other stuff too. I have acne worse than when I was a teenager. (How do I get it to go away? Oh please!) And, yes, I also will barely spot for 2-3 days prior to having a heavier flow.

I actually feel a bit better to see that someone else has such similar symptoms. I might try to explore this further with my ob. I'll let you know if mine has anything interesting to say about it.
    big girl 6/06
    little girl 9/08

"I'm not stupid; I just don't stop to proofread." (PRM?)

jerigirl is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

You may want to look at books by Dr. John Lee. Here is one.

http://www.amazon.com/John-Lees-Horm...4934094&sr=1-1
    jeri
    DS 6/10/06
    DS2 9/1/10

LarsMal is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm glad you posted this because I have been having similar problems. I am only 3 cycles in since AF returned, but I have had some crazy moody moments (it's like I can feel them taking over my body and I don't know how to stop it). I have also never experienced hormonal acne like I have since AF returned. I've never had "acne", just blemishes here and there, but now AF comes and my face completely breaks out.

I was ready to call my OB and get a BCP prescription (which I don't really want to do). I'll have to check out some of these books first. So glad to know I'm not alone!
    Posted via Mobile Device

I will check some of these books out. I am glad to know I am not alone.

Clarity - I am interested to know if the progesterone cream has helped. I was speaking with a holistic nutritionist yesterday for almost an hour and she said it sounds like I am "estrogen dominant", and that my balance of estrogen and progesterone are off (i.e. progesterone is too low compared to estrogen).

I guess that makes sense, considering when you're pregnant, levels of both are very high until just before delivery. I have lots of reading to do now!
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Have you ever had bloodwork for PCOS and thyroid?
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Tondi G is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I know a friend who swares by taking her Cal/Mag/Zinc, fish oils, and Evening Primrose Oil. B vitamins are also EXTREMELY important for women.

I had my thyroid checked, it was okay. I've thought of PCOS, but I was checked for that about two years ago, and nothing showed up then. But that was two years ago.
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast