Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Castille soap

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Castille soap

So I bought some peppermint castille soap last week, and have no idea what to do with it. Please post your favorite uses! Please include quantities as I'm clueless!!
    Thanks!

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

Reina is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

mix a teaspoon castile soap, a teaspoon dishwashing liquid , a cup of distilled vinegar and 3 cups plain water in a quart spray bottle. you have the best all purpose cleaning solution. spray away...

one teaspoon of castile soap and a quart of water will clean and shine leather (couch, purse, shoe...). just spray and wipe with terry cloth. Also... Due to its viscosity, the same solution can be used as a dusting aid. Instead of using Glad or Febreeze enhanced Swiffer toxic melange sprays, you can use this simple solution while dusting. Dust really keeps away for a few days from the cleaned surfaces...

2 tablespoons of castile soap in a gallon of very hot (NOT boiling) water is a rug/carpet cleaning solution. take a cleaning towel. dip it in the hot water (please wear protective rubber gloves. we don't want you burning your hands), squeeze excess water out and rub into the rug. wait about an hour for the rug to dry and vacuum. especially pure wool and silk oriental rugs will shine brilliantly after this treatment.

you can wash your body and face with castile soap.

mix one part castile soap with one part baking soda for the ultimate gentle scrubbing solution for countertops, sinks, shower enclosures, etc. Add some distilled vinegar for a more powerful scrub or to just entertain the neighborhood kids... (the same solution with vinegar also works wonders for removing set-in stains from fabrics.)

mix a tablespoon of castile soap 2 cups of distilled vinegar and a gallon of very hot (not boiling water) in a bucket and mop mop mop away those hardwood (or tile) floors to a bling !

p.s. please use terry cloth towels or reusable wipe cloths for cleaning. paper towels are a waste on this earth... for more recipes, don't hesitate to pm me.
    Last edited by Reina; 06-10-2010 at 08:10 PM. Reason: edited for adding more info

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Reina View Post
    mix a teaspoon castile soap, a teaspoon dishwashing liquid , a cup of distilled vinegar and 3 cups plain water in a quart spray bottle. you have the best all purpose cleaning solution. spray away...
    Have you found the dishwashing liquid improves the cleaning power? I don't ususally add it.

mommymy is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Thanks for the ideas and the specific amounts of the castille soap. I bought a bottle from TJ's a month ago and it's still sitting on my counter. I was overwhelmed reading the tiny print on the bottle!

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I just made up counter spray with ~ 2 tbsp and water. Not sure how it will work
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

I squirt about a tablespoon into the bathtub, dump about a 1/4 cup of baking soda on top and use a microfiber cloth or a sponge to scrub the bathtub with the resulting paste. Same for the bathroom sink, just smaller amounts.

Catherine

Quote Originally Posted by mommymy View Post
    Thanks for the ideas and the specific amounts of the castille soap. I bought a bottle from TJ's a month ago and it's still sitting on my counter. I was overwhelmed reading the tiny print on the bottle!
    Yes.. The fine print on the bottles are all mumbo jumbo. I don't know why they do that. I actually found the silly writings rather irritating when I first started using castile soap. Now I ignore the writings, experiment on my own, ask my mom, ask my grandmother and her maid who's been with her since the 70's. they now live together. and the woman knows real cleaning!, I also ask chemist friends regarding mixing different simple chemical compounds to achieve non-toxic cleansers... I've gone vinegar, castile soap and baking soda crazy...

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Can the bar soap be used for anything other than washing hands? I've found Dr. Bronners in bar format but not liquid.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    Can the bar soap be used for anything other than washing hands? I've found Dr. Bronners in bar format but not liquid.

the bar soap is a slightly different chemical compound since it's solid. you'd have to melt it in order to bring it to the consistency you want. cutting the bar soap to 1/2 inch cubes and then melting in hot water as needed, would get you the cleaning solution... 1 bar should get you 30 tablespoons of liquid soap.

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    I have found it at Target, Whole Foods, Safeway, Giant, Shoppers, Landis' and numerous other chain/grocery stores. You sometimes have to look a bit, but often it is near the Burts Bees products.

Reina, thanks for the specifics. I also use it in hot water to mop the kitchen/bathroom floors. Our cleaning products are vinegar, castile soap, baking soda, and lemon juice. DH sometimes comments that we smell as fresh as a salad, but we are both happier without the horrible chemicals!
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast