Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Castille soap

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Default Castille soap

So I bought some peppermint castille soap last week, and have no idea what to do with it. Please post your favorite uses! Please include quantities as I'm clueless!!
    Thanks!

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

Reina is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

mix a teaspoon castile soap, a teaspoon dishwashing liquid , a cup of distilled vinegar and 3 cups plain water in a quart spray bottle. you have the best all purpose cleaning solution. spray away...

one teaspoon of castile soap and a quart of water will clean and shine leather (couch, purse, shoe...). just spray and wipe with terry cloth. Also... Due to its viscosity, the same solution can be used as a dusting aid. Instead of using Glad or Febreeze enhanced Swiffer toxic melange sprays, you can use this simple solution while dusting. Dust really keeps away for a few days from the cleaned surfaces...

2 tablespoons of castile soap in a gallon of very hot (NOT boiling) water is a rug/carpet cleaning solution. take a cleaning towel. dip it in the hot water (please wear protective rubber gloves. we don't want you burning your hands), squeeze excess water out and rub into the rug. wait about an hour for the rug to dry and vacuum. especially pure wool and silk oriental rugs will shine brilliantly after this treatment.

you can wash your body and face with castile soap.

mix one part castile soap with one part baking soda for the ultimate gentle scrubbing solution for countertops, sinks, shower enclosures, etc. Add some distilled vinegar for a more powerful scrub or to just entertain the neighborhood kids... (the same solution with vinegar also works wonders for removing set-in stains from fabrics.)

mix a tablespoon of castile soap 2 cups of distilled vinegar and a gallon of very hot (not boiling water) in a bucket and mop mop mop away those hardwood (or tile) floors to a bling !

p.s. please use terry cloth towels or reusable wipe cloths for cleaning. paper towels are a waste on this earth... for more recipes, don't hesitate to pm me.
    Last edited by Reina; 06-10-2010 at 08:10 PM. Reason: edited for adding more info

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

This is fantastic, thanks!

Does the cleaning solution need to be rinsed off?

Seriously, thanks! I've only been using ours as hand soap.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Ceepa is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Reina View Post
    mix a teaspoon castile soap, a teaspoon dishwashing liquid , a cup of distilled vinegar and 3 cups plain water in a quart spray bottle. you have the best all purpose cleaning solution. spray away...
    Have you found the dishwashing liquid improves the cleaning power? I don't ususally add it.

mommymy is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Thanks for the ideas and the specific amounts of the castille soap. I bought a bottle from TJ's a month ago and it's still sitting on my counter. I was overwhelmed reading the tiny print on the bottle!

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I just made up counter spray with ~ 2 tbsp and water. Not sure how it will work
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

I squirt about a tablespoon into the bathtub, dump about a 1/4 cup of baking soda on top and use a microfiber cloth or a sponge to scrub the bathtub with the resulting paste. Same for the bathroom sink, just smaller amounts.

Catherine

Reina is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Ceepa View Post
    Have you found the dishwashing liquid improves the cleaning power? I don't ususally add it.
    Since castile is a rather viscous and oily soap, I find that using just a bit of dishwashing detergent cuts that oiliness down and finishes with a streak free end result. I use Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds and/or Ecover dishwashing liquid. This is for the general cleaning solution. I do my quick clean-ups with this.

1964pandora is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I used to buy those gallon jugs of Dr. Bronner's. Does anyone know where you can get those for the best price? Thanks in advance.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast