Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    KrisM is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Default Purging and cleaning - do I need anything else?

Friday afternoon or evening, DH is taking all the kids away for the weekend so I can clean/organize the house!

For the most part, it's our master bedroom and the basement that are in need of big help. DS2 and DD's closets need to be finished, as well. They have stuff that doesn't belong there and should move to the basement.

So, I have lots of garbage bags for trash and some donations. I have a bunch of laundry bins that I can use for sorting. I figured I'd label them and sort an area and then pack up when a bin is full. I have some small/medium boxes, but nothing very big for putting larger donation things in. Do you think I need some?

Anything else I might need to make this easier and faster? I really want both areas completely done when they get home. Counting on 7 hours of sleep a night, I have either 27 or 33 hours to work (and eat, etc).

I'm trying to convince DH to take a half day and leave after lunch. It's not just for me - but it's a 2.5 hour drive and the kids would be easier to get to bed if they had time to play outside first and if they leave after dinner, they'll get there around 9pm.
    Kris

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

cleaning supplies?

sterlite bins with lids? (and a sharpie.) Lots and lots of garbage bags?

Good luck!

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Post-its for some quick labeling as you go along?
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Okay, I'll do a few pads of Post Its and a bunch of markers. I know I'll lose them as I go, so I'll be sure to have a bunch!
    Kris

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

I prefer wide masking tape for labeling bins as I go. It sticks better and doesn't fall off.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Yeah, I was just thinking that maybe blue painter's tape would be better to have on hand. You can use it to tape together piles or pieces as you go along since it comes off easily. And you can write on it!

Although those new post-it labels are pretty handy. The whole back is sticky, so they don't fall off of bins and such nearly as easily as regular post-it notes.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

Tape does make more sense. I haven't seen Post It labels and will look that up.

Lori - is your week of cleaning this week or next?

I also need a plan for what to do with DH's stuff. I can sort and put some things away, but there is a lot that I don't want to toss if he needs it. I guess a big bin right in the middle of his studio would work .
    Kris

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We did a big cleaning/organizing last fall and bought about 15 large bins and our basement is beautifully organized with stacked and labeled bins. They are easy to move around, won't get all tippy, keep the bugs out, etc. DH went so far as to organize our year-round holiday decor so that spring holidays have a bin, summer holidays, etc. It's been great.

Happy cleaning and organizing!
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

How about a bunch of ziplock bags in different sizes? I find those useful especially when getting some of DD's old toys ready for donation. I put everything together in a ziplock and then seal the top with painter's tape (in addition to the zip seal part). It seems like a good setup b/c it's easy to intentionally unseal, but not too likely to open accidentally during the charity's sorting process.

bigpassport is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Definitely ziplocs! Also, paper towels, a few rags, vacuum bags, broom/dustpan. Even if its stuff you already have, gather them up now before you get started.

A little OT but wear pants/shorts with decent sized pockets so you can put little odds and ends in your pockets without having to get up from your project so often. I would have a garbage pocket and a save/donate pocket.

Good luck! I'm excited for you!
    Lee
    DS 06/09
    Expecting b/b twins via adoption, Summer 2013

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast