Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Castille soap

Reina is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by TwoBees View Post
    This is fantastic, thanks!

Does the cleaning solution need to be rinsed off?
    Depends on the surface. If you spray it on bathroom or kitchen counters, no rinsing necessary. If you are spraying it on the floor, you might want to wipe with a wet towel first and then a dry one to avoid slipping.
    Considering, I used to spray commercial cleaners such as Fantastik and Clorox on those surfaces and just wipe without rinsing... God knows what kinds of chemicals I left behind that would touch our food and skin. These simple solutions are not toxic... But if you want to rinse, sure that would work too ...

Quote Originally Posted by mommymy View Post
    Thanks for the ideas and the specific amounts of the castille soap. I bought a bottle from TJ's a month ago and it's still sitting on my counter. I was overwhelmed reading the tiny print on the bottle!
    Yes.. The fine print on the bottles are all mumbo jumbo. I don't know why they do that. I actually found the silly writings rather irritating when I first started using castile soap. Now I ignore the writings, experiment on my own, ask my mom, ask my grandmother and her maid who's been with her since the 70's. they now live together. and the woman knows real cleaning!, I also ask chemist friends regarding mixing different simple chemical compounds to achieve non-toxic cleansers... I've gone vinegar, castile soap and baking soda crazy...

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Can the bar soap be used for anything other than washing hands? I've found Dr. Bronners in bar format but not liquid.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    Can the bar soap be used for anything other than washing hands? I've found Dr. Bronners in bar format but not liquid.

the bar soap is a slightly different chemical compound since it's solid. you'd have to melt it in order to bring it to the consistency you want. cutting the bar soap to 1/2 inch cubes and then melting in hot water as needed, would get you the cleaning solution... 1 bar should get you 30 tablespoons of liquid soap.

Quote Originally Posted by wendibird22 View Post
    I have found it at Target, Whole Foods, Safeway, Giant, Shoppers, Landis' and numerous other chain/grocery stores. You sometimes have to look a bit, but often it is near the Burts Bees products.

Reina, thanks for the specifics. I also use it in hot water to mop the kitchen/bathroom floors. Our cleaning products are vinegar, castile soap, baking soda, and lemon juice. DH sometimes comments that we smell as fresh as a salad, but we are both happier without the horrible chemicals!
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

Quote Originally Posted by mommymy View Post
    I was overwhelmed reading the tiny print on the bottle!
    Lol, I always think how it defeats the saving water purpose of some of the tips. How much longer people spend in the shower trying to read it has to waste quite a bit!!!
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

Quote Originally Posted by MamaKath View Post
    DH sometimes comments that we smell as fresh as a salad, but we are both happier without the horrible chemicals!
    I do an olive oil mask and then rinse my hair with vinegar, once in a blue moon. DH calls it the human hair salad. LOL
    We are all better off without the harsh chemicals. I read the actual list of ingredients in Fantastik all purpose cleaning solution. I felt dirty after reading it... Really...

mommymy is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

After spraying on the mixture of the castille soap do I need to let it sit for 5 minutes? or can I spray and wipe down things?

I understand the salad joke now! I just cleaned the bathroom sinks and it smells like vinegar even with the peppermint castille soap added! lol

Thanks.

PunkyBoo is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Thanks for the great tips! What amount do mix with water to make hand soap or body wash? Or do you use it straight for that??

Mama to DS1 Punkin (2/04) and DS2 Boo (1/09)

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I mopped the other day with Dr. Bronners, vinegar and hot water. I think it cleaned great but seemed to leave a streaky film/residue on the floor (laminate) which is attracting more dirt/grime. We use a yarn mop. Any suggestions?
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast