Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Default Does your eye doctor do retinal photography?

I have an eye exam today. Last time I was there they really pushed me to get a retinal photograph. But DH had just been laid off and I did not have a job and money was tight, so I declined. I had also never heard of it and didn't know what to think. I had honestly forgotten about it, but I was filling out the forms for the visit ahead of time and they ask if you want it on the form. Currently we don't have vision insurance and are planning to pay OOP. I don't mind paying for something worthwhile, but I don't want to pay for a "fluff" procedure that isn't really necessary.

In quick googling, this article makes me want to opt out, but I wonder if there is something I am missing?

http://www.optometric.com/mtotw/tip.asp?tip=203

If it's of any relevance I am in my early 40s with a strong family history of Type II diabetes.

ETA: I also have a small pre-retinal fibrosis diagnosed about 20 years ago that causes me no issues.
    Last edited by egoldber; 06-21-2010 at 01:01 PM.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I have had it done, but I have quite a few complicated genetic problems with my eyes that lead me to Mass Eye and Ear every 6-8months for checkups. They do a CT type scan of the eye, a few other mappings and scannings, pressure tests every few months and a few types of dyes.

I would not consider myself to be in the normal range, more on the visually impaired side of things.

I would call and ask why they do it, are they trying to pay for a machine or is there a reason they want you personally to have it done.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

cono0507 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I declined when offered because my eyes dilate to a freakishly huge degree when they put drops in and they had more than an adequate view. The ophthalomologist agreed with my decision. I agree - seems "fluff" to me too.

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Well, like the PP said, it seems like there are definite cases where I can see the benefit. But the article I found suggested that a lot of places do push it in order to pay for an expensive machine. Which I am obviously not interested in. I do have a small pre-retinal fibrosis that was diagnosed in my early 20s, but it causes me no trouble and I barely even notice it.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Every 2 years yes. But maybe I should look into it more. I will ask DH as he is in eye medicine field.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

baileygirl is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have opted for this for several years now. At our office it is $20 extra. I like it because at my eye doctor it opts me out of having to get my eyes dilated (which also makes the exam a bit faster). Also, the pictures are available each year (assuming you are at the same office), so my eye doctor often goes back to compare from prior years. The pictures are pretty neat to look at. That said, I don't know how much over $20 I would spend on it.

My DH says for a normal person (with no risks) younger than 60 it would not be needed. DH is NOT a medial doctor he works on drugs for eye disease (retnal eye disease).
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

just re-read your post beth -- the strong history of type 2 db is a factor and DH works on diabetic eye disease and would suggest the photo. Sorry!
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

JElaineB is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I get it done every year. The extra $25 or so is worth it to me to avoid having my eyes dilated. I also apparently have histoplasmosis (a type of parasite that's pretty common in the midwest) that the optometrist likes to keep an eye on.

ezcc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

I have done this at my last appts, I also don't pay that much and my dr. recommends it because I am severely near-sighted which puts me at risk for some complications. I do think it is kind of cool.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast