Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Help with Family Reunion - Opinions needed!

So, DH decided to host a family reunion for one side of his family. Most of these people I have never met...many have not seen each other is perhaps as long as 20 years. About 50-70 will attend and ages will vary from kids to those in their 80s.

We are having it in a catering facility on a Sunday afternoon for 4 hrs. Buffet lunch, cash bar.

So here are my questions:
    1) Do you think we should hire a dj? I don't want to have an over-the-top dj, because I feel like people will want to talk and catch up, but I do think it might be nice to have music and/or dancing to make it festive.

2) My dh had an idea of hiring a photographer. He wants some type of big group picture. I'm wondering if I really need to hire a professional photographer? Or maybe just hire someone who is semi-professional with a great camera to take a group picture & maybe some subsets of the group, have it put on a cd and then post it to some share site so that whoever wants print outs can do it on their own.

3) My dh had some relatives submit a few family recipes...maybe we have 10 or so gathered. What to do with this? I don't want to go through the expense of doing a fancy bound book for all the guests...any other thoughts on how to compile and make available?

4) Centerpieces. I thought about just getting ballons for each table with colors of the italian flag (dh's family is italian). Any other creative ideas?

5) Any other ideas for family reunion activities? I have never been to one, let alone organize one and I have no idea if I am on the right track here.

Any and all opinions welcome! Oh, and yes, we are paying for all of it. Which I am OK with, but don't want to go overboard with expenses either.
    Last edited by pinkmomagain; 06-25-2010 at 05:01 PM. Reason: typos
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

Office Depot and Staples offer binding and laminating services. I had some autograph books, Epcot passports and a school journal for Ds1 bound (and the covers laminated) when we went to DisneyWorld and it was very reasonable. I don't remember the exact $$ but know it was less than $20 for the 5 books.

For the recipes I would laminate the pages so they're wipeable if stuff splatters on them while cooking...that happens in our house alot
    Mommy to my 2 sandy boys

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**If you live in the New England area and want to join the local Yahoo group for BBBers, please PM me for more info!**

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I'd bring a boombox with some classical and classic rock, but not hire a DJ.
    One advatage of a DJ is the sound system for people to make toasts --- but for that sized crowd, you can probably go "acoustic".

I'd not hire a photographer, either, I'm sure there will be 50 cameras present. But I would definitely plan to have a photo of each table and a time dedicated to group family shots.

I'd be prepared for some folks to bring old photos - have a table out with a "Memories" placard. If you can send a note requesting people bring old pictures that's even better.

VERY nice of you! Good luck!
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Andi98989 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would do music of some sort - even if it's getting speakers for an iPod. Set up a playlist of some nice background music.

For a photographer, there will be lots of people there with cameras, but you may want to find someone who would be willing to take pictures for you. If you hire a professional, even if you buy a disc of the pictures from them with a copyright release, then only you would be able to get prints of it since only you would have the release. If another relative in another state tried to get a print, they could be asked for a copy of the original release form - which they wouldn't have. If you have a friend who is pretty good with a camera and would be willing to do it for you on the side, I think that would be a good idea.
    DS1 - Oct. '09

gatorsmom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pinkmomagain View Post
    So, DH decided to host a family reunion for one side of his family. Most of these people I have never met...many have not seen each other is perhaps as long as 20 years. About 50-70 will attend and ages will vary from kids to those in their 80s.

We are having it in a catering facility in a Sunday afternoon for 4 hrs. Buffet lunch, cash bar.

So here are my questions:
    1) Do you think we should hire a dj? I don't want to have an over-the-top dj, because I feel like people will want to talk and catch up, but I do think it might be nice to have music and/or dancing to make it festive.

2) My dh had an idea of hiring a photographer. He wants some type of big group picture. I'm wondering if I really need to hire a professional photographer? Or maybe just hire someone who is semi-professional with a great camera to take a group picture & maybe some subsets of the group, have it put on a cd and then post it to some share site so that whoever wants print outs can do it on their own.

3) My dh had some relatives submit a few family recipes...maybe we have 10 or so gathered. What to do with this? I don't want to go through the expense of doing a fancy binded book for all the guests...any other thoughts on how to compile and make available?

4) Centerpieces. I thought about just getting ballons for each table with colors of the italian flag (dh's family is italian). Any other creative ideas?

5) Any other ideas for family reunion activities? I have never been to one, let alone organize one and I have no idea if I am on the right track here.

Any and all opinions welcome! Oh, and yes, we are paying for all of it. Which I am OK with, but don't want to go overboard with expenses either.
    Wow, this is really nice of your husband. I bet his family members will really appreciate it!

For cheap table centerpieces, I've bought quart mason jars from the grocery store OR you can usually get some at a thrift store. Fill them with some rocks to hold them down (kids love to do this kind of thing to help). Then if you have a Farmer's Market that sell flowers, you can usually get some big bunches of flowers for cheap. Divide them up and put them in the jars. They don't have to look fancy, in fact if you have some twine, rafia (sp) or wrapping ribbon they look rustic and festive. And they are easy and cheap.

I think paying an amateur photographer to come take some pictures is a great idea. I know there are a couple of moms amongst my preschool son's friends that like to take pictures but don't have the time to go professional. You might want to start asking around.

If you have time, ask other family members to send to you their handed -down family recipes and include a little story about it. Slap a cover on (with something about the Smith Family Reunion Cookbook dated June 12, 2010) and take them to KINKOs to get them cheaply bound. They don't have to be neat or organized at all. I think a little haphazardness would add to their charm.

just some of my ideas. hth!
    " I object to violence because when it appears to do good, the good is only temporary; the evil it does is permanent." Mahatma Gandhi

"This is the ultimate weakness of violence: It multiplies evil and violence in the universe. It doesn't solve any problems." Martin Luther King, Jr.

kristenk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'd skip the dj and not really worry about music or activities.

How about including the recipes with a family directory? We have a family reunion every 2 years and the people in charge of it compile current addresses/contact info and kids' ages. Each family residing at the same address gets one.

I wouldn't worry about a professional photographer. A semi-professional sounds fine, although we usually ask someone random (wait staff, whoever) to take the group picture. For subsets, usually everyone wants to have one with their camera anyway, so even if we had an actual photographer, at least 5 people would be standing behind the photographer taking their own pictures!

Balloons would be okay, but you need to make sure that they're not in the way, making it hard to see across the table. I think something with a low profile on the table might be better. (Can't think of anything right now, though.) How many tables will you have?

How about bringing along old photos and asking others to do the same, if they want? You can bring any that you need help identifying or any extras you may have or any that might mean more to different family members.

If your family is anything like mine, there's just going to be a whole lot of talking going on!

I don't have ideas for everything you asked, but here is one idea that did come to mind:

For the recipes, since you have relatively few, I might type them all out, then print them out in a recipe-card size. Michaels often has recipe card boxes in their $1 section. You could buy one box per (small) family, stick the recipe cards in the boxes and have them available for the taking.

I also think it might be wise to have some games available for kids. 4 hours isn't long for adults to catch up, but it could be REALLY long if this is indoors with younger children. Maybe have a couple of tables set up with board games/coloring books/simple craft?

Oooo...I just had another thought about the photography. I wouldn't go professional, but what about one of those disposable cameras on each table, kind of like some people do at weddings? You'll have lots of fun candid shots that way.
    Last edited by Indianamom2; 06-25-2010 at 04:32 PM.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

Thanks all for the suggestions/opinions so far.

I am concerned about little ones getting bored, that's why I'm thinking maybe a low-key dj who maybe gives out a few goodies (dayglow bands, necklaces, etc.) at some point during the party.

The family directory idea is a good one!

Sounds like laminating at Kinkos or Staples might be the way to go.

Please keep the ideas/opinions coming.........
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by pinkmomagain View Post
    I am concerned about little ones getting bored
    This in fun for everyone to do....
    http://www.sandartsupplies.com/

Mommy_Again is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I don't think you need a DJ - ipod and speakers is probably fine - but if you are concerned about the kids' entertainment, maybe hire a few teenagers to watch them and organize games and activities? Maybe someone you've had babysit before? You could bring Twister, Charades, etc.

The thing I would spend $ on is the photographer. I am sure many family members will take pictures, but I've seen my 92 year old grandfather's photographic skills, and it ain't pretty. I think it would be totally worth it to spend a few hundred dollars (you could probably find a semi-pro for around $200), and make sure you not only got high quality shots, but also made sure that ALL family members were included.

If you wanted to go with the italian theme for centerpieces, you could fill mason jars as a PP suggested with those hard skinny breadsticks, maybe tie raffia or ribbon around the neck of the jar. Pretty AND edible!
    DS 2003
    DD1 2009
    DD2 2011

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast