Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    nrp is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks for the mederma recs - I see that there are at least two kinds - one marketed for kids. It appears that it some sort of vanishing purple formula, which actually sounds unappealing to me. Which version did you all use?
    Mommy to
    DD1 (12/06)
    DS (6/08)
    DD2 (10/11)

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by nrp View Post
    I am debating giving her bangs for the summer to conceal the wound as it heals and maybe even shield it a little more from the sun.
    Yes, do the bangs. DS got a cut in his forehead last October, and they dermabonded it. It was just on the edge of the hairline. The Ped said to shield it from the sun the first few months to avoid worse scarring or a difference in skin tone. We kept his hair a little longer and had him wear a hat and or sunscreen every day. And now you can barely see it.

I'm really sorry you had such a rough night, I hope your DD is feeling better.

ETA: Good call on insisting on the dermabond. Tha way the wound is more protected IMO, also since it's now "sealed" no hair or dirt can get in the wound, so the bangs wouldn' be a problem.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I'm so sorry! Sounds like they did a good job though. So, for Mederma, is it to prevent keloids or can you use it for more ("dented" scars)? I've heard the same thing about using sunscreen.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

SammyeGail is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I wanted to send you and so sorry for a hard night.

So far no gashes with the boys but my sister busted my lip when I was around 5 or 6, I have a lovely 1.5" scar to always remember her by.

I guess to be as old as it is it doesn't look so bad, its vertical, on my lip and above, no crease, just an outline of where the stitches were. You can only see it well up close.

Sorry, don't mean to take over your thread, but would Mederma help this? A scar so old? If my sister and I had a great relationship I would *love* it with good memories, but our relationship's been pretty bad. I know things can change and I hope they do, but the scar can go .
    Samantha
    Twin Boys - 11/20/05
    N. and J. - My heart and hands are full!

The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places. Hemingway

Quote Originally Posted by edurnemk View Post
    Yes, do the bangs. DS got a cut in his forehead last October, and they dermabonded it. It was just on the edge of the hairline. The Ped said to shield it from the sun the first few months to avoid worse scarring or a difference in skin tone. We kept his hair a little longer and had him wear a hat and or sunscreen every day. And now you can barely see it.

I'm really sorry you had such a rough night, I hope your DD is feeling better.

ETA: Good call on insisting on the dermabond. Tha way the wound is more protected IMO, also since it's now "sealed" no hair or dirt can get in the wound, so the bangs wouldn' be a problem.
    Thanks - I spoke to my SIL last night and she actually recommended the self-adhesive silicone sheets. You can cut them to size and I think they fit sort of like a thick band-aid. I ordered some last night so I'm hoping that they are opaque enough that it will shield it from the sun, since I don't think I can put a cream on under the silicone sheet, since it won't adhere. I had been eyeing a new sunhat for DD, and I think I will order that, too. She will just have to get used to wearing a hat EVERYWHERE this summer.

For the other PPs - when I was looking around at Mederma reviews and the silicone reviews, it appears that both are marketed for new or old scars, although it seems that results will vary. SIL said that research has only borne out the efficacy of the silicone, but obviously some other posters and lots of people who wrote reviews were happy with the Mederma. Others swear by just massaging the scar with aquaphor or vaseline, and keep them well moisturized.
    Mommy to
    DD1 (12/06)
    DS (6/08)
    DD2 (10/11)

almostmom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

About 14 months ago DD fell out of bed and gashed her forehead on a chair next to her bed. We went to the emergency room and they dermabonded it. It was an inch long, about. The doc said their concern was scarring, so I trusted him. It took at least 3 weeks for that stuff to come off! We faithfully suncreened it once it came off, and did Vit E and mederma too, but couldn't get to consistently doing the mederma, even though I wanted to (she was in school every day, and I wanted to make sure she had sunscreen on. Also I didn't want to buy 2 tubes of mederma to have in multiple places). I don't think they did a great job bringing the cut together, as there is definitely uneveness to the skin/scar now. But the sunscreen definitley helped, and from most angles there is not color to it now. But unfortunately, it is still visible. But it has gotten much better. I struggled with using mederma AND sunscreen - the version I got didn't have sunscreen. Same with Vit E. And sunscreen felt like the most important piece, and I think it was.

In the back of my head I know that she could go to a plastic surgeon, or laser, in the future if it really bothers her. For now, I think it's fine. But I had a really hard time with it for awhile, feeling like I should have asked for a plastic surgeon at the hospital that night, but it's so hard in the moment to want to wait any longer for treatment!
    Liz

DS 11/03
    DD 12/05

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I thought research showed that vit E didn't have an impact. Some people say the mederma works b/c of the act of massaging (which breaks up scar tissue). The silicone, I believe, works by applying light pressure to the area, so a keloid doesn't form. I think the silicone also comes in a paint on form.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

When DS#2 was about 18months he fell and split open his forehead on a concrete stoop that was busted. Several stitches with that. THen about a year later he fell and was nailed by a metal fence post. Stitches again on the forehead. That doesn't include the two times he was nippped by the dog across the nose as a toddler.

He's 9 now, and other then suncreen I didn't do anything extra to protect the scar. You can barely see them now. I have to look hard. The one I can see the best was the one where his skin was really puffy and the doctor didn't pull the stitches tight enough. but it's really hard to see now.

We've all been there done that so don't feel too bad.

Good Luck,
    Jen
    Last edited by ladysoapmaker; 06-25-2010 at 06:03 PM. Reason: spelling issue
    Mom to 4 wonderful children

DS#1 7/96
    DS#2 11/00
    DD#1 11/03
    DD#2 6/08

Quote Originally Posted by ladysoapmaker View Post
    When DS#2 was about 18months he fell and split open his forehead on a concrete stoop that was busted. Several stitches with that. THen about a year later he fell and was nailed by a metal fence post. Stitches again on the forehead. That doesn't include the two times he was nippped by the dog across the nose as a toddler.

He's 9 now, and other then suncreen I didn't do anything extra to protect the scar. You can barely see them now. I have to look hard. The one I can see the best was the one where his skin was really puffy and the doctor didn't pull the stitches tight enough. but it's really hard to see now.

We've all been there done that so don't feel too bad.

Good Luck,
    Jen
    Thank you! I love these stories and they really help! I think part of my anxiety about the whole experience was that I had a pretty severe bike accident when I was 11, and I still have some visible scars on my lip and nose to show for it. DD's injury is not nearly as severe, and she is not at an age, like I was, where she will be particularly self-conscious. But it still clouds my reaction and makes me super-eager to exhaust every possible avenue for scar prevention.
    Mommy to
    DD1 (12/06)
    DS (6/08)
    DD2 (10/11)

we have the adult version (my mom bought it) and it goes in white and as you rub it in the white goes away. I think you want it to be well healed before you start something like that. The plastic surgeon had us using bacitracin while the area was still open (to keep it moist and prevent crusting) and then light applications of moisturizing cream (we use elta but a good cream is fine) and then once it was fully healed we've been massaging mederma on the area under her chin (big ropey scar) and elta to her grafts/donor site and then elta sunscreen on her face. We really haven't done anything to the spot on her forehead except sunscreen every day-it looks great. I really think your DD will be fine. But sunscreen is crucial. We get her dressed, do her hair and put on "makeup". DH discovered that the easies way is to dot it all over her face and then rub the dots together. Much less likely to get in her eyes!
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast