Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default What size is a 3T / 4T?

I just commented about buying ahead in sizes for my baby daughter. This reminded me of a question:

I think I have a pretty good grasp on the wierdness of baby sizes ... but ... I have no idea how the "T" sizes translate into height/weight. Does 3T supposedly fit an average 3 year old?

All kids are different, obviously, but what's the average age of a kid who wears these toddler sizes? (I'm thinking girl, since that's what I have.)

SpaceGal is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Unfortunately, I can't help in terms of toddler girls. But for my current 3yo son, he wears some bigger 2T sizes and some 3T. He's the average one in our family, his older brother and baby sister are small ones. I think it's also some brands are cut wider than others. Like I've notice Children's Place to be wider cut. Carter's fluctuates, Old Navy and Gap are average.

With all sizing, I do think it's a choice on how parents want to dress their kids...loose and baggy or fitting. I do the later, and so clothes look like the fit right now.

so the T stands for toddler, and usually means they're cut with a diaper and a pot belly in mind. So the bottom usually have a slightly bigger seat, and the top is boxier. 2T would mean it should fit an average sized toddler, who is still in diapers, btwn the age 2 and 3. But of course, all brands run differently. e.g. I find Old Navy tops run a size small. HTH
    ________
    Vaporgenie Vaporizer
    Last edited by mshen; 02-19-2011 at 08:05 AM.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I wouldn't buy too far ahead, personally, my 2 year old daughter wears 18 month clothes. I tried to put her in 2T and the pants literally fell down to her ankles.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    I wouldn't buy too far ahead, personally, my 2 year old daughter wears 18 month clothes. I tried to put her in 2T and the pants literally fell down to her ankles.
    That was our middle niece! She was/is very petite ... at 3, I think she was only up to 24mo clothes or something because 2Ts were still too big.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

Minnifer is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I have found in some brands 2T is their size for 2-3 yos, but in other brands, 3T is their size for 2-3 yos, and so on as you go up in sizes. So, for example, Carter's 2T fits 34.5–36.5" and 29–31 lbs, and in Children's Place clothes you need a 3T for that same range - their 3T fits 34-37" and 29-32 lbs. So it's kind of a PITA b/c you really have to check the charts for each brand to see how they size...
    Lucky single mama to DD 5/08 and DS 6/11

jvs195 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Minnifer View Post
    I have found in some brands 2T is their size for 2-3 yos, but in other brands, 3T is their size for 2-3 yos, and so on as you go up in sizes. So, for example, Carter's 2T fits 34.5–36.5" and 29–31 lbs, and in Children's Place clothes you need a 3T for that same range - their 3T fits 34-37" and 29-32 lbs. So it's kind of a PITA b/c you really have to check the charts for each brand to see how they size...
    I wish I had remembered this before I ordered an entire winter wardrobe in 2T for DD (who will be 2 in September and is 95% for height and 80% for weight) I had it in my mind she'd be 18-24 Months until about now and then 2T for awhile. She's wearing 2T now and if she has a growth spurt before fall (highly likely) she will not fit into it much past fall. I think I'm back to the drawing board for a bunch of stuff. Luckily the real winter wear is Landsend and LL Bean so I can return them, just sad about the deals I got.

lowrioh is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I wouldn't buy too far ahead unless you kid is solidly in the 50% range for height/weight. I just went out and bought my 23 month old 4T shorts from Target.
    Sizes vary a lot by brand....IME Carter's, Old Navy and Target's 3T run a lot smaller than something from Gymboree.

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Yes, sizes vary a lot by brand. Also, I started by going by the recommended height/weight with the T clothes. I'm in a bit of a stranger situation. I have a new 3 yr old by almost a month who wears a little girls size 5 clothing. 2T fit her for about 3 months from 12-15 months. 3T fit her until age 2 1/2 and 4T fit her from age 2 1/2 until 3 yrs old.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

TArget sure does seem to run small! My 7 month old is 18 pounds. I picked up one of those $4 stretchy, bright little t-shirts. It's way too tight on the tummy and arms. I got an 18 month one and it fits "just" right...meaning it certainly won't last the summer. Maybe 'til August if we're lucky! Too bad b/cause I like those shirts - soft, bright, comfy and cheap.

If I was going to buy the right size in those, I guess I'd have to get my 7 month old a 2T! If I wanted to fit her cloth diaper butt into the coordinated TArget shorts, I'd probably have to go to the Jrs Dept!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast