maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Default crafty/sewing mamas, need some suggestions for repairing diaper cover

I am so pissed at myself. I ordered a couple of VGUC Thirsties covers off FSOT at diaperswappers. They arrived yesterday. I cut open the package from the extreme edge. I clipped about 1/8 inch from the end, but ended up clipping a 2 inch long fragment from one of the coversIt's about 1/4 inch wide at center, and comes to a point at each end. I put the fragment back and taped over it with packing tape, but I don't think I can put it through the wash like that. Or can I? Anyone have any experience with patching up a PUL cover? Is there a very thin iron-on patch I can put at least on the outside?
    Last edited by maestramommy; 06-25-2010 at 05:40 PM.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

newg is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I'd head on over to a Jo-Ann fabric store......the ladies that work in there are awesome! I know there are some no-sew glues and adhesives and patches and other stuff you might be able to use..........but if you take the diaper cover in and let them look at it I think you'll get the best help there.

DD1 2/08
    DD2 8/10

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

IIRC one of the nice features about PUL is that it will self-seal around the seams when you dry it in the dryer. That is why you need to dry covers once in a while, to re-seal the PUL. Maybe you could do a tiny patch of PUL and wash and dry it and see how it goes?

On a related note my mom washed and fried ~I mean dried~ my LiteWraps on HOT. The covers were stuck to themselves and as she pulled them apart some of the PUL came off too. It turns out that it isn't the end of the world as far as the covers go. I won't ever be able to resell them, but they still work ok. Not perfect but ok. I think a tiny hole with a tiny patch won't be the end of the world. You might not be able to resell it but the diaper cover will probably work fine.
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10