dukie41181 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default QUICK! WWYD: To go or not?

Our neighbors have invited us over to watch a movie. They are directly next door. Problem being that our daughter is sleeping. My husband just walked over into their living room and he says the monitor works perfectly fine there. Would you go knowing the monitor works just fine or stay home? I can't decide if its irresponsible. WWYD?
    DD1: February 2009
    DD2: November 2010

SpaceGal is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Could you have them come to your place to watch the movie?

Does your daughter sleep through the night at this point? If you go over will you be totally on pin and needles worried...if so then just pass. I have been outside while the kids napped and did yard work (with the monitor) and what not...so I don't think it's totally bad to be over there but I can see why you might be nervous.

MMEand1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SpaceGal View Post
    Could you have them come to your place to watch the movie?
    +1

I would not be comfortable and would not enjoy myself. Call me over-protective, but I wouldn't go and leave my DC.

gobadgers is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

When we lived in a condo building, we would go the neighbor's with the monitor. The condo building was probably a little more secure than a single family house (locked front entry, plus locked condo door).

I'm not sure I could relax and enjoy a whole movie though. I like the suggestion of inviting them over, if that's an option.
    -Christine

DD, 9/07
    DS, 5/09
    and a very tolerant pup

jess_g is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I think that I would split up and leave one parent at home in case the baby wakes up or needs you. I don't think its right to leave the baby home alone to watch a movie at the neighbours and I would not have one parent that keeps coming home to check on the baby (thats how Madeline got taken at the resort in Portugal (I watch too much Oprah!).

Just my thoughts,

Jessica.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

In theory, should be fine, but my mind went straight to Madeline McCann too. I'm afraid I would not be comfortable with it.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

dukie41181 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Thanks for some quick responses. We talked right after I posted and neither of us were entirely comfortable with it so we passed.

I don't know anything about the cases that have been referenced. Do I want to know?
    DD1: February 2009
    DD2: November 2010

kep is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I agree with not going. I have done yard work while using the moniter too, but IMO going inside someone else's home for an extended period of time is asking for trouble. What if there was a fire, gas leak, or some other problem that you need to know about RIGHT NOW? Outside my comfort zone. Just playing devil's advocate.
    Kelli
    Mom to 5 amazing kids (5 to 17 years)
    Mom of a cleft lip & palate warrior