Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    cairo06 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Waterproof mascara recs?

I have deep set eyes and stick straight short eyelashes. I've been trying to make an effort to curl my eyelashes and use mascara more often. I really look a lot better with it. I've always used waterproof mascara, because everything else smears. For the past year or so even my waterproof mascara is giving me raccoon eyes. I've switched brands and its still happening. The only thing I can think of is that I'm now using Everyday Minerals? Does anyone have any recommendations or application tips? I'm a novice when it comes to make-up so your help would be appreciated!
    Cristina

DD 2004
    DS 2007

wallawala is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm not going to be much help on mascara as I'm a covergirl- the orginial pink tube kinda girl. There's a waterproof version. I'm guessing that's one you've tried already.

On a side note... if you're also looking for a waterproof eyeliner... hands down my favorite is the Tarina Tarantino "Eye Dream Hyperliner".
    http://www.sephora.com/browse/produc...categoryId=B70

It GLIDES on supersmooth, but once it sets it DOES NOT MOVE. If you to smudge or need to fix edges, do it with in the first 5 min, because after that it's set for all day. I usually leave the house at 7:20 and back around the same time, and it looks like just put it on. I'm frugal fanny, so the thought of paying that much for an eyeliner killed me the first time, but am now an addict. Downside is that it's a true pencil that you have to sharpen. But it lasts a while. I bought one about 2 months ago, use it daily, and will likely last about 6months total. Most waterproof eyeliners are so hard or dryout and I end up tossing them. This is the best. I have "puppeteer" and it's a very natural brown. I thought it was just hype (I mean... pink theme is a bit gimicky... but it's Awesome!)

fauve01 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by cairo06 View Post
    I have deep set eyes and stick straight short eyelashes. I've been trying to make an effort to curl my eyelashes and use mascara more often. I really look a lot better with it. I've always used waterproof mascara, because everything else smears. For the past year or so even my waterproof mascara is giving me raccoon eyes. I've switched brands and its still happening. The only thing I can think of is that I'm now using Everyday Minerals? Does anyone have any recommendations or application tips? I'm a novice when it comes to make-up so your help would be appreciated!
    i have always used waterproof mascara too because of smudges. i used to love Voluminous (i think it's maybelline), but I switched to try Stilleto when it was on sale recently and love it even more. the brush is skinny. I like how my lashes look better. I don't get smudges unless i have been rubbing my itchy allergy eyes.

It's not a curling formula though. before applying mascara, i use the shu umumu curler i got at sephora.

My friend who used to work at the estee lauder makeup counter wipes the mascara brush off on a tissue before applying. she says it helps avoid clumps. i don't do that, but i thought i'd tell you in case you wanted to try.

also, make sure you don't have lotion or makeup remover or anything on your undereye skin before you apply mascara. i'm guessing that would make the mascara smudge.

anne

peanut520 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

i personally like the maybelline in the pink tube. i have tried all kinds and price ranges and the cheap ones seem to work best. agreed with PP that you need to try to keep the eye area free of oil based makeup and moisturizers.

Cam&Clay is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

After trying everything lately, I'm sticking with Maybelline Great Lash, but get the one with the BLACK cap. It's the waterproof version. I accidentally bought the regular recently and just the humidity gave me raccoon eyes!
    DS1 age 21 years
    DS2 age 11 years

I think Maybelline makes the best mascaras. I've tried expensive ones, and they don't seem any better to me. I was a Maybelline pink-tube girl for a long time, but I've switched to their Stiletto. I agree with pp, the small brush really does make my lashes look better.

I rarely wear mascara any more, but curling first, and using a lash comb after applying mascara make a big difference in how my lashes look. I also NEVER put mascara on my bottom lashes, which cuts way down on the raccoon look. If I'm feeling especially fancy, I hold a piece of kleenex under my eye when I'm using the lash comb to catch any stray color flakes.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Andi98989 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

DS1 - Oct. '09

ohiomom1121 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I always have trouble with mascara running, but am not a huge fan of waterproof. I finally found Loreal Telescopic and love it-no smudging. They do have a waterproof version as well. I was a loyal to Lancome mascaras until I found this one and it's 1/3 of the price. http://www.target.com/gp/detail.html...t_adv_XASD0001

Kindra178 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I have the same problem as you do. In fact, I swear my body changed following my pregnancies. Anyway, I switched to the beauty tube mascara type, and I will never go back. I started with Blinc, from Sephora. But it's $24 dollars so I thought I would try Loreal's beauty tube version. It's awesome. Red and white container. It stays on all day. One drawback. It comes off in tubes, which is kind of gross. But sooo worth it.

cairo06 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Thanks everyone for your input. I haven't tried the Stiletto and Telescopic so I'll look for those when I go to the drugstore. I also use a Shu Emura eyelash curler, but don't find it to be any better than my old Revlon.

Quote Originally Posted by fauve01 View Post
    also, make sure you don't have lotion or makeup remover or anything on your undereye skin before you apply mascara. i'm guessing that would make the mascara smudge.
    I usually apply suncreen, everyday minerals, and then mascara last. Is that the wrong order? Should I be applying the mascara first?

I also don't apply the mascara on the bottom lashes, so the smudges can't be from there. I gave up on eyeliner a long time ago, I always felt my eyes looked smaller. My mom is the type that swipes lipstick on and looks great. I need a little more than that to look good, so she never taught me anything about makeup. I've tried going to the makeup counters, but I always feel like a hooker when they are done. I don't use makeup everyday, but when I do it would be nice if I could do it properly.
    Cristina

DD 2004
    DS 2007

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast