Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Anyone start with meat?

In addition to Baby 411, there have been several peer reviewed studies extolling the virtues of starting with meat as a first food. Apparently it is good for breast fed babies as it is high in iron and zinc which is relatively lacking in breast milk.

We are getting our facts together so we can gameplan when put little monster (22lbs and 27.5" at four months) turns 6 months.

Thanks!

Andi98989 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Nope - and my pedi said to hold off on meat until 9 months. We have done some meat already, but only in the form of jarred purees like Green Beans & Turkey, etc... We don't do "straight" meat purees or pieces of meat.

DS has only received breastmilk, no formula, and I was told that the only supplement he needed was Vitamin D - that he did not need any iron, multi-vitamin, etc...
    DS1 - Oct. '09

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

No, but you could consider quinoa. It's a great, complex grain.

BEth

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Nope -- we didn't do meat til 12 months. We are not big meat eaters.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Katigre is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

We let DD try meat around 7 months old - she liked sucking in a chicken drumstick and eating fish like salmon and tilapia and also ground turkey.
    Mom of 4: Boy (10), Girl (7), Boy (4), Girl (2)

Momof3Labs is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

My ped also mentioned that it is now recommended (based on the studies you cited) to start meat earlier. We started giving the girls meat around 7.5 months, I'd say. They didn't start solids until about 6.5 months and did purees for a very short time before they moved to table food.
    Single mom to

DS ("twice exceptional") - September 2002
    DS - February 2006
    DD - July 2009
    DD - July 2009

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I don't see it as a problem if you start solids late enough and your baby can handle it. I wouldn't do pureed meat-- yuck-- but DS2 didn't eat any solids at all till 8 months and at that point he pretty much ate everything we were eating since he only wanted to feed himself. Ground beef/turkey and very tender chicken (like from the crockpot) is very easy for an older baby to eat on their own.

We pretty much did "baby-led weaning" as DS2 acted like I was trying to kill him if I came anywhere near him with a spoon before 8 months!

Here's the main website for baby-led weaning: http://www.borstvoeding.com/voedseli...lw/engels.html
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My pediatrician said no restrictions when we started solids. My baby took to food right away (started with whole pears and apples, where he nibbled from them), so I didn't delay meat/chicken long at all. He's 10 months old now and eats everything from our plates. He's probably been eating meat/chicken since around 7 months.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

One of DD's early favorites was little pieces of ground beef. She's always been a protein kinda girl, and is to this day. We went straight to finger foods/table food with her. She was self-feeding meat by 8 months I'd say.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

barkley1 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

our ped also said that's what the latest research says. so, we tried it but DS hated it. Totally my fault - don't do what I did!! I just fed him pureed straight from the jar - GROSS! new mom, clueless. You have to mix it with yummy stuff like sweet potatoes, peas, etc...so it covers up the taste some. Or, I just started buying jars w/ it already mixed in (Earth's best has some yummy sounding ones, like tender beef spinach, mango chicken risotto that DS loves!).

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast