Default Stopped Nursing -- Now Losing Hair

I'm wondering how long all of you who EBF lost hair after you stopped? I EBF for 13 months. It has now been almost 4 months since I BF at all and my hair is still falling out -- handfuls at a time (when I shower and blow dry)

I just spent the week on vacation w/ my family and they all thought I lost way too much hair.

I honestly wasn't worried until they all made a point of saying I should see a dr. I have tons of thick hair and there are no signs of bald spots so that's not the problem. I just am curious how long I should expect to continue to see hair loss at above normal amounts?

PS - I have no other health issues that this might be related to either.
    TIA

Andi98989 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I lost hair while I was EPing, but now that I quit my hormones shifted and my hair loss is slowing back down to a more normal pace.
    DS1 - Oct. '09

A little comfort in misery loves company...here's an old thread of mine.

http://www.windsorpeak.com/vbulletin...d.php?t=334776

I have long hair, not all that thick. I swear I cannot believe how much I lost. It was crazy. I started losing it before I stopped nursing but AF returned at like 2 or maybe 3 months. Done nursing at 4 months. I actually just got my hair cut last week and I think the conclusion was that I probably was losing hair for about 4-5 months AFTER I stopped nursing. The stylist said I had obvious growth of new hair that was about 5 months worth...DD is now 13.5 months...that means I started getting net growth around 8.5 months PP. It felt like FOREVER!

Hang in there! I'm sure it's nothing to worry about. Honestly, it was insane how much I lost, and still I lose alot every shower/brush.

Thanks for the quick replies! I figured I really didn't want to go to a dr over something like this so I knew you ladies would have the answer!

The way I'm looking at it now is it's summer in AZ so any hair loss is a good thing for me

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'm exclusively nursing/pumping & am experiencing hair loss myself. It didn't start for a while, though.

DD is 4 months & I intend on BFing 'til she's a year. I think I'd go mad if my hair continued to fall out, but if it keeps her healthy, I'll deal.
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

scrooks is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I nursed DS until about a month ago. My hair loss started about 3-4 months ago and is just now tappering off. I swear I'm surprised I'm not bald. I think this is a normal thing. My hairdresser said she has lots of clients that need bangs to cover up bald spots after pregnancies. Luckily (and very often unluckily) for me I have super thick hair, so definitely no bald spot issues here...
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

LarsMal is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

For some reason my pp hair loss with #3 was my worst. I went through it during the "normal" period of about 4-6 months and was fine after that. C is 14 months now and down to one feeding at night, but only about 2 minutes on one side, so hardly getting anything. My hair started falling out again about 3 weeks ago- and LOTS of it! Luckily I have plenty to spare, but I'm amazed how much I am still pulling out every day.

I was starting to worry, but I guess it's not that uncommon.

Nothing to add, really- just wanted to let you know you aren't alone!

it seemed like forever and then one day it stopped
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)