Thread: BubbleBum

K-Bear is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default BubbleBum

My eldest daughter is almost 6.5, just shy of 48" and around 41 pounds. She rides in the Britax Frontier. We are looking around for a second car seat for the nanny's car and I'm intrigued by the Bubblebum for a couple reasons. While I don't feel comfortable having her ride in a booster the majority of the time, I would be okay with it occassionally in a nanny's car and second, this seems like a great thing to travel with.

How safe is this car seat? What else should I know about it?

I'm curious about this too, as an occasional use booster. Anyone with thoughts or experience?
    HillaryB

Wife to DH (8/00)
    Mama to DD (10/07) and DS (4/12)

hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

We are at Disney and used it here. I plan to use it in the UK / Paris later this year. It works really well for short trips. DS1 is 6.5 and 60 lbs or so and really tall (54" maybe?). He is in a booster at home. He does need some reminding to sit up straight in the bubble bum.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

cairo06 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I used on for my then 7.5 years old last summer. I travel internationally at least once a year and almost always alone with two children. The bubble bum was great for travel. It was wonderful to only have to carry one bulky carseat with us. We made it from the airport to our destination, but after a few days I ended up buying another low back booster. My daughter didn't find it comfortable for longer rides and she had problems buckling it on her own. I'm glad we have it for travel, but it wouldn't work for us for daily use.
    Cristina

DD 2004
    DS 2007

kwc is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

We sometimes use ours for travel/ field trips (DD can put it in her backpack) but probably wouldn't use it for more frequent use as it is a bit more involved threading the belt through the guides... DD (age 8) can do it but it is not super fast. She prefers to use a $13 Harmony Literider for carpools or travel where we will be in and out of a rental car a lot.

It would be a pretty big step down in "structure" for a kiddo used to a Frontier...

mom2binsd is online now Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I think I'd go with a HBB for her for now, it'll still give her the structure similar to the Frontier, and they can be found pretty cheap on sale, check out a Turbo booster.

I love it for what it is! It's small, lightweight and compact. I would NOT use it every day because having to thread the seatbelt through the red guides is a pain and you have to do that and redo that each time you get in/out.

If you're looking at size, I'd get the harmony lite rider. I love the Evenflo Amp, but it is bigger and doesn't work well with contoured seats.