HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Aftermarket DVD system for a minivan

What is the cost of putting an aftermarket system into a minivan? We are on our 3rd portable DVD that we use for roadtrips. It's broken. So we have spent already about $500 total on these portable systems (dual screen since one child was FF and one was RF). Is it worth it to purchase another portable DVD (kids are both FF now) or bite the bullet and get a system installed in the car?
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

We had an Alpine overhead one installed 3 yrs ago for ~$1,100. Prices have gone down quite a bit since then. We went through 2 portables before deciding to have it installed and have never regreted our decision. The only "downside" is limiting use since its always there. Our rule is only on trips over 2 hrs and I don't keep DVDs in the car.
    Last edited by ECMom; 07-24-2010 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Additional info

oneontheway is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Having used both systems before I really like the intalled dvd players so much better. When we bought our last car I called around for an after market system. I think most of the stores/dealers were like $ 600-900. I found a guy that my dealer uses to install them and it was only $250. So it can vary greatly but if you can find someone who does it on the side it will be so much cheaper. I also had them install a button so that when we want to listen to the radio the kids can still listen to the dvd player through headphones.
    DS 2005
    DD 2007
    DS 2010
    and a Junebug in 2013

How old is your dvd player? Ours died recently but it was still under warrenty and the company replaced the broken screen. Might save you a little $$$ until you have the other installed.
    Sarah
    DS 5/26/05
    DS 5/12/07 our angel
    DD 4/8/08

Moralizing and morals are two entirely different things and are always found in entirely different people. Don Herold

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

The dvd player is 2 yrs old. I believe it had a 1 yr warranty.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007