Default How to you teach a FIVE yo to soothe to sleep?

This would be a bitch except I'd really like some advice.

DS has been getting up earlier and earlier and I really think that it's because he doesn't know how to get back to sleep. So if he happens to wake up around 4:30 a.m. he just gets up.

And it just occurred to me that I think he falls asleep almost immediately (his bedtime is between 7:00 and 8:00 but closer to 8:00) so he doesn't really have any experience being awake but falling asleep. It has gotten earlier and earlier but usually it's been about 5:45 and I tell him he has to stay in his room until the first number on the clock is a "six." But we went over and over that last night and this morning I heard him watching TV in the playroom at 4:50(!). So, now he's back in his room with the light on a little (he said it was too dark) and his music playing. Not sure if he'll fall back asleep but I'm wide awake! I really planned/hoped/wanted to sleep for two more hours. ARGH. Okay, that's the bitch part!
    Debbie

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Is he sleepy during the day? If not, I may try a later bedtime (perhaps an hour later) and see what happens.

Quote Originally Posted by infomama View Post
    Is he sleepy during the day? If not, I may try a later bedtime (perhaps an hour later) and see what happens.
    He's definitely sleepy during the day. I did think of a later bedtime but he's SO exhausted by the time bedtime falls around. He literally is asleep in five minutes. So I don't think he could do a later bedtime. On the rare occasions he takes a nap (which is falling asleep in the couch or in the car) he is so much better behaved and so much more fun to be around!

I kind of think he would still get up at the same time but just get even less sleep with a later bedtime. It's worth a shot though.
    Debbie

egoldber is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

He may need help relaxing and falling back asleep. You could try a sleep/relaxation CD. My older DD uses this one when she has trouble going to sleep and occasionally when she wakes up too early. It's basically just a progressive relaxation CD.

http://www.amazon.com/Indigo-Ocean-D...0140841&sr=1-1

Have you asked him why he is getting up so early? Do you think he could be worried about something? My older DD does this sometimes when something "big" is coming up: school start, vacation, new camp, etc.
    Beth, mom to older DD (8/01) and younger DD (10/06) and always missing Leah (4/22 - 5/1/05)

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    Have you asked him why he is getting up so early? Do you think he could be worried about something? My older DD does this sometimes when something "big" is coming up: school start, vacation, new camp, etc.
    That could be. *I* get up so early because I'm worried and if I happen to get up any time from 4:00 on I can't stop thinking/worrying and I wake up. I could ask him but I don't really get a good answer. When we were on vacation he would pop up and say, "Mommy, I'm all done sleeping." So I don't think he's actually worrying. I think he just doesn't know how to fall back asleep. I like the idea of a progression CD though. Many times he will go back into his room but he's not going back to sleep, he's just playing. And although it's nice that he's back in his room, he really needs more sleep!
    Debbie