Question Take a toddler to a wake/ visitation?

Is that a major faux pas? DH is going to be out of town when I need to go to an old friend's parent's wake or funeral the next morning. I can either take along DD (21 months)- I figure she'll do better during the drop-in time & atmosphere of a wake versus a funeral- or I can have my mom drive an hour down to our house stay with her while I go to it.

WWYD? I'm tempted to take DD along to keep things simpler (& the church is only about 12 minutes away), and not make my mom have a huge drive both ways. But I don't want to be really inappropriate by taking her along.

Any advice?

Thanks!

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My dds have been to a few wakes as toddlers (funerals, too). Unless you wanted to sit and visit with your friend uninterrupted I would take your dd along without hesitation.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I wouldn't hesitate to go to a wake with a toddler. A funeral - you can try - but be prepared to take her outside immediately if she gets restless or noisy. I personally would try to avoid taking a toddler to a funeral except close family.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

sadie427 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would bring a toddler to a wake but not a funeral, unless it was family.
    ------
    S.

DS 2003
    DS 2009

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by sadie427 View Post
    not a funeral, unless it was family.
    ITA. The funerals we have attended have been family members.

Yes, I've taken my kids to both. The wakes are much easier since you tend to be in and out with more activity and it's less noticeable if the little ones get restless and you need to make an exit.

If you're just wanting to support your friend and make the appearance than yes, I'd go for the easier on you and save grandma for other needs. Especially with family it is often the only time they would get to see my kids, so I take them.

malphy is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

It is okay. I come from big irish famliy and everyone goes. I can't remember a time when I didn't go. We went to funerals and wakes.
    Maggie
    dd 12/06

klwa is online now Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS has been to many wakes/funerals. DD not so much, jsut because we haven't been called to go to as many since she was born & it's harder for me to handle both at once. (DH refuses to go to the visitation or funeral unless he's forced.)
    -Kris
    DS (9/05)
    DD (8/08)
    DD (9/12)