Thread: Cleaning toys

czekit7 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Talking Cleaning toys

I just bought a remarkable amount of great toys from CL this weekend, but want to clean EVERYTHING before my DS plays with them. The fabric stuff all went into the laundry with his Dreft and Oxyclean Baby, but how should I safely clean the hard items (FP Peek-a-boo blocks, stacking toys, etc.). I can put them in the top rack of the dishwasher, but would like to give them a good soaking and scrub the first time around. I asked my daycare what they did, and they said disinfectant and dishwasher, but my dumb-butt forgot to ask what chemical/disinfectant they originally used. It's Sunday, and I'd love for DS to play tonight. Any suggestions.

czekit7 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Word to the wise...DO NOT SOAK Fisher Price Peek-A-Boo blocks in soap/water!! They are NOT sealed! Ahh...oh well, 2 hrs in the 100 degree heat of OK will evaporate ALL of that moisture!

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

In that case, disinfectant wipes might be your best friend. Give the hard toys a good wiping, then "rinse" them with a wet cloth, followed by drying them with a dry cloth and/or a stay in the sun.

FWIW, I don't think germs can survive for THAT long on those plastic toys. The bigger problem is their getting passed from one child's mouth to another child's mouth on the same day. If you can get them basically clean and not sticky, they're probably fine.
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"