Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    hillview is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Default Update: still an issue? Sick child question

Update after feeling a lot better DS is complaining of a headache again. He is not dehydrated -- has been peeing like a racehorse after a liter or more of pedilite and water. Would you be concerned?
    /hillary
    ==
    DS1 is just 5 years old. He seemed fine this morning (ate breakfast, played in playground) at the playground he freaked out when DH was putting sunblock on him -- saying DH was hurting his neck -- I tried he also complained. Sometimes he will complain like this (once he gets going) so we didn't think anything of it. On the way back to the car from the playground he said his head hurts (no head injuries on playground) by the time we got into the car he was crying that his head hurt. He cried for about a mile and he was also hot from being outside so I went to a 7-11 and got him a bottle of water. He stopped crying. We got home and in 1 hr he has gone from 99.5 to 101.2. He says his head still hurts but he isn't crying. He is lounging. He has more water.

Would you be concerned?

/hillary
    Last edited by hillview; 08-01-2010 at 06:49 PM. Reason: update
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

sariana is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I'm so sorry he's not feeling well. I know that when I get "fluish" (not really the flu, but a cold with aches and such), my skin sometimes gets really sensitive. Sometimes that is my first symptom, before I get any sniffles or anything else.

So maybe your DS has picked up a virus, and it's coming on in stages?
    DS '04 "Boogaboo"
    DD '08 "Lilybear"

writermama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'd be a little concerned about the head hurts/neck sensitivity complaint, because kids aren't always really clear in describing their symptoms.

When he is lying down flat, ask him to look at his toes. If he says that hurts or refuses to do it, take him to an urgent care center or ER. Also take him to the ER immediately if he develops other symptoms on this list ( http://www.askdrsears.com/html/8/T083700.asp )

Otherwise, it could very well be, and probably is, just a general kid illness ... the headache could be sinus pressure from a cold or a symptom of dehydration. Treatment for both includes rest and drinking lots of liquids.

Trust your mommy instincts and call your ped anytime you think you might need to call your ped.

Quote Originally Posted by writermama View Post
    When he is lying down flat, ask him to look at his toes.
    When he does this he says it hurts his head -- top of his head. Not his neck.

I might call ...
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

writermama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by hillview View Post
    When he does this he says it hurts his head -- top of his head. Not his neck.
    Hmm. If it were me, I wouldn't run straight to the ER yet, but I would put in a call to the ped.

I hope it's nothing and he feels better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by writermama View Post
    Hmm. If it were me, I wouldn't run straight to the ER yet, but I would put in a call to the ped.

I hope it's nothing and he feels better soon.
    Thanks I called and waiting for a call back.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

The nurse called and suggested giving him some motrin (not recalled!) and calling her back in an hr. He just said his back hurts. He can still easily and painlessly touch his chin to his chest.
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

DD#1 gets like this when she's dehydrated or gets too much sun.

Hope he's better soon
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

The motrin and 2 glasses of fluid and he seems to be feeling a lot better. Thanks all!
    /hillary
    DS #1 Summer 05
    DS #2 Summer 07

Good. Hope he continues to feel fine. Watch for any more complaints, though, about neck or back, and take them seriously.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast