Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Graco SnugRide Infant Car seat-solution for less padding?

Wondered if anyone had advice on how to add extra padding (& if there is some legalese in it) Graco SnugRide Infant car seat to cushion the bum and the legs?

We got a "Mickey in the House" SnugRide with all the seemingly right specs (it wasn't the cheapest in its category) and when it arrived it seems to have very poor padding. I mean Graco is highly recommended in this bargains book but such minimal padding??
    thanks!

Andi98989 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

There really isn't a safe way to do it. You don't want to add anything additional to the seat because it can impact performance of the seat. If you put something cushy under baby, during an accident that cushioning would be compressed and then the harness won't be snug against baby any more. This same reasoning applies to why you shouldn't dress baby in bulky clothing, jackets, etc... in a car seat.

DS was in a LemonGrass SR32 car seat and did just fine with it; the diaper-butt alone adds some nice padding. Also, if you want to get a cover for your seat to use in the winter, get a "shower cap" style one that goes over the seat but doesn't have a layer that goes inside the seat. This is an example.
    DS1 - Oct. '09

Most snugrides are pretty thin, I guess they think babies don't need lots of cush? The only approved option would be to contact Graco and see what they say. Some of their seats have gracopedic foam (their name for memory foam...) and it's possible they'll sell you some for your seat, because it's been crash tested that way. But really, I wouldn't worry about it, few babies complain, some even do in the super cushy seats (there's just something about the way seats hold babies at funny angles or something, some kids really just aren't comfortable in an infant seat no matter what, but most don't care).
    Julie
    Child Passenger Safety Technician (CPST)

DS age 18--Driving--(booster till 11 and almost 5ft tall)
    DD1 age 16--Learner's Permit!(booster till 11 and almost 5 ft tall)
    DD2 age 9-Safety 1st Incognito
    http://picasaweb.google.com/joolstag/LeahInCarseats#

Thanks, Andi98989. On the link you posted for Cozy Up Carrier cover, there is also a "Kiddopotamus Snuzzler Complete Head and Body Support". That looks comfy for a winter baby esp on long drives & I am guessing this has gotta be something approved(?)
    Joolsplus2 - thanks. I will chk with Graco and compare it with the Snuzzler. I spent $40 or so more to get this SnugRide with front harness and now more for the cushion. Why isn't all the info out there and intuitive??? Had I known of minimal cushioning I would hv added that to my complex model of evaluating which car seat to buy

Quote Originally Posted by Firsttime View Post
    On the link you posted for Cozy Up Carrier cover, there is also a "Kiddopotamus Snuzzler Complete Head and Body Support". That looks comfy for a winter baby esp on long drives & I am guessing this has gotta be something approved(?)
    The Snuzzler is NOT safe. Anything that did not come in the box with the seat was not crash-tested with the seat, so there is no way to know how it will react in an accident or whether it would compromise your child's safety. Like Andi said above, you don't want to add anything to the seat, or put a thick coat on baby. Nothing should come between the child's tummy and the harness or the child's back and the seat. That's why the shower-cap style covers are great - they keep the kiddo warm without interfering with the safety of the seat, like items such as the Snuzzler and the BundleMe can. Also, anything that requires you to thread the harness through it can make it hard to see where the harness slots are in relation to baby's shoulders, which is important information because the straps should always be *below* the shoulders when rear-facing, whether in an infant seat or a convertible seat.

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by babystuffbuff; 08-10-2010 at 09:15 PM.

The snuzzler is not safe to use in a car seat, not safe, not tested, I would not buy it. It works fine in a stroller to provide some extra support when they are little.

I would return the Snugride and get a Chicco Keyfit if you want great padding, easy install and safety. The Snugride is safe as used but the padding and quality of the fabric in the Keyfit is much better. (I've had a Snugride from six years ago, deluxe edition, a Chicco Keyfit from their first generation, Graco Safeseat after baby outgrew Keyfit at about 11 or 12 months, better than a Snugride, easier to install than Snugride but not as easy as Keyfit, okay padding, and now with baby #3 have a Chicco Keyfit 30.)

Quote Originally Posted by babystuffbuff View Post
    Also, anything that requires you to thread the harness through it can make it hard to see where the harness slots are in relation to baby's shoulders, which is important information because the straps should always be *above* the shoulders when rear-facing, whether in an infant seat or a convertible seat.

Hope that helps!
    This is WRONG (only added for emphasis), when a baby is rear facing the straps need to be at or slightly BELOW the baby's shoulders. Only have the straps above a child's shoulders once they are forward facing. If you have an infant and the straps above their shoulder's, please fix it asap!

Dr C is offline Gold level (500+ posts)

We have a snugride (from 4 years ago) with pretty minimal padding and both kids have ridden in it without complaint. Honestly, babies don't seem to care that much... and there are kids who hate their carseats but I'm not sure that would be fixed by having more padding. We love the seat, I would recommend it without hesitation.
    Agree with PP; do NOT buy a snuzzler or BundleMe to use in your carseat.
    My sweet boy 8/06
    My beautiful girl 10/09

Quote Originally Posted by HannaAddict View Post
    This is WRONG (only added for emphasis), when a baby is rear facing the straps need to be at or slightly BELOW the baby's shoulders. Only have the straps above a child's shoulders once they are forward facing. If you have an infant and the straps above their shoulder's, please fix it asap!
    Ugh, I knew that, I was replying on the fly and put the wrong thing. I'll try to edit....

ETA: Fixed! Thanks for noticing!

I have a Teutonia T-Tario car seat. It comes with a foot muff for the winter. We never used it and I doubt it will be, but I could see how in colder climates it would be nice. The Tario also is a cushier version of the Graco Snugride 35.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast