Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Causes of a red pin point rash on toddler?

Looking for ideas on why my 2yo DS has a red pin point rash all over his bod. I'm not going to call the doc on the weekend since he is mostly feeling fine.

He's had a cold and runny nose for about 2 weeks. Then maybe thursday he started getting these red dots on his diaper region, but creeping up on his stomach. Friday night it was all over his torso. He also had a low fever that night. Around 100. The pin points are pretty much everywhere now. But more pronounced on his belly. They could be fading now. They dont seem that itchy but he was scratching his lower back this morning saying "oowwwww". But its also where the diaper starts so that might be what was itchy.

Any ideas?
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

My kids both had that and a low grade fever and other cold signs. Took them to the ped and it was "scarlet fever," which is actually just strep with a rash, but sounds pretty bad. If it's all in his diaper area, maybe that's not it, but I'd check it out just in case. A few doses of antibiotics and they both were better and the rash went away quickly.
    Boy (4/03) -- Girl (12/05) -- Boy (11/10)

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

http://www.co.benton.or.us/health/pu...comparison.pdf

My guess is Fifth Disease or Scarlet Fever.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

It could be roseola. The cold could have actually been a symptom.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/ros...CTION=symptoms
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Fever before fine now was Roseola for us.

Sierra
    2 boys 2 girls

Well from the pics I have seen of Roseola, that looks like it could be it. But DS never had a high fever. And the rash started Thursday and Friday night he had a low fever of about 100. I gave him Motrin and after that he was fine all weekend. In a good mood, etc...

Called the pediatrian and she is out today. I would have to bring him to a different office (she has another doc covering for her). And that means driving 20 minutes to pick him up from daycare, then driving back to where I came from (near work). Ugh. I may try to make a late appointment and then call back to my doc later today. The office said that if she is back from her trip in the afternoon she may be able to see him later today, early evening.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

1964pandora is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I would say Roseola!

Well so if its Roseola, it might not even be worth it bringing him to the doc, since i read that they really only treat the fever, and he has none.

I'm not sure what the deal is with daycare. I pointed out the rash this morning and they still took him. She made sure he had no oozing blisters or anything. And from what I read online kids arent contagious with the rash, they are contagious before they even get the rash and when they are coughing, etc...

Would you even bring him to the doc? I probably would if we could go to his own doctor, but I dont really want to drive to a new doc (extra 25 minutes) if they are just going to be like "oh, its roseola, it'll go away in a day or so". You know?

Before i heard Roseola, the rash also resembles measles pictures I have seen online. But he has been vaccinated, although I know those arent always 100%.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

wendibird22 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'd probably wait and see. Rashes tend to be viral and so there's little that can be done about them. If he's not currently running a fever and doesn't seem to be bothered by the rash or have any other symptoms of illness (eating and sleeping well), I'd wait. But that's me.
    Mom to two amazing DDs ('07 & '09) and a fur baby.

Gluten free since Nov '11 after non-celiac gluten sensitive diagnosis. Have had great improvement or total elimination of: migraines, bloating/distention, heartburn, cystic acne, canker sores, bleeding gums, eczema on elbows, dry skin and scalp, muscle cramps, PMS, hair loss, heart palpitations, fatigue. I'm amazed.

Yes, I am more of a wait and see person too. But I work FT and I think our daycare would like confirmation that he isn't going to be spreading anything around.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008