TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Machine-washable mat for under high chair?

DH is a clean freak. DD is learning about food and drops things on the floor. These two don't go well together. I thought that having an easily-wipeable lineolum floor would be enough, but DH wants a mat/dropcloth to contain the mess. Is there something out there that is easily wipeable (ie, a plasticky or vinyl-type surface) and also machine-washable? Are vinyl tablecloths machine washable? Is there something mroe eco-friendly? Or should I Just use an old blanket?
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.

I would make dh locate and clean whatever product he thinks is going to be an improvement over a linoleum floor.

Catherine

wallawala is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have this and love it.
    http://www.amazon.com/Mimi-Sardine-C...2155317&sr=8-1
    I've washed it about 10x and it looks brand new. I usually just wipe it off for little things, and throw in washer when I'm inspired to really really clean house. Only thing I don't like is the high chair doesn't slide on it easily (we have it over carpet though). We have the Tripp Trapp, and not usually moving around so not really an issue day to day. If we needed to push high chair up back and forth daily, it might start to irk me.

Most of the patterns currently are boyish. I think the Jungle can easily be unisex, we have it for DD. There sometimes are overstocks or discontinued patterns on the Mimi the Sardine website for cheaper.

It's expensive, but depending on the pattern you can usually get it for about $25 on amazon with FS. Prices seem to change daily... just be patient.
    Last edited by wallawala; 08-18-2010 at 02:15 PM. Reason: left off link-Duh!!

Quote Originally Posted by crl View Post
    I would make dh locate and clean whatever product he thinks is going to be an improvement over a linoleum floor.

Catherine
    Boy, your DH is in for a shock, food on the floor is about to become the least of his concerns once your DC starts walking and getting into stuff!

But you might try Flor tiles. You probably only need a few to go under the chair, and they can be washed in a sink (I don't think they can be machine washed though). www.flor.com

We have a table cloth that seems to be a cross between vinyl and cloth that we toss in the washer. (ETA: that we use on our table).
    Last edited by TwinFoxes; 08-18-2010 at 01:07 PM.
    Mommy to my wonderful, HEALTHY twin girls
    6/08 - Preemies no more!

Andi98989 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

We have a Mimi the Sardine spill mat that I got off of babyhalfoff.com or something a while ago. We have the penguin one. It's nice and big, the high chair moves easily on it, and I just threw it in the washing machine this weekend and it came out great!

http://www.mimithesardine.com/kids_spillmats.html

ETA: if I didn't get something like that, I was going to get a clear office chair mat and use that. Not machine washable, but very easy to clean with a cloth.
    DS1 - Oct. '09

peanut520 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

we use the BRU version of the NEAT SHEET and it is great. it is not completely waterproof but gives you time to get it up before soaking through. we shake it out if it isnt bad or just toss in the washing machine if it. what about this? http://www.toysrus.com/product/index...ductId=4071315

mikala is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default We use a $6 canvas painters tarp

It's waterproof and machine washable. It's a subtle tan canvas so it fits our decor and you can't beat the price. We bought two from Menards and I just toss one in the washer with towels whenever it gets dirty.

TwoBees is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Thanks everyone! I'm going to hand all of these suggestions to DH and let him figure it out from here. Since he's the one who is bugged by the mess.
    Mom to a spirited, red-headed, former 28-weeker 10/2009 and a more mellow monkey 12/2013.