View Poll Results: On a typical week, how many days does your K-3rd grader eat PB&J for lunch at school?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Five

11 10.00%
  • Four

10 9.09%
  • Three

14 12.73%
  • Two

12 10.91%
  • One

10 9.09%
  • Never or almost never due to taste/diet preference

31 28.18%
  • Never due to my child's nut allergies

11 10.00%
  • Never due to school or classroom being nut-free (but my own kid isn't allergic)

11 10.00%
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by almostmom View Post

DD in preschool has it 3 times a week at least too. It's pretty much the only sandwich they will eat.
    I don't often send sandwiches to school, if I do it's just jelly or vegemite. I know vegemite is not an option for anyone else.

We do a lot of leftovers from dinner or I make things for his thermos. Pasta and cheese is a favourite or oatmeal - DS loves oatmeal for lunch. He gets milk or yogurt with the oatmeal. I'll also do chicken nuggets, quesadilla or leftover pizza or hotdog - anything that I can cut to fit in his thermos. A friend's DS has a thermos container that has a wider mouth than what we have, and I think I'll get that this year to make it a little easier to get things into it.

elliput is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

I don't know yet. DD's first day of all day school is tomorrow. PB&J is the optional choice for kids who don't want the hot lunch served in the cafeteria, so I am sure she will eat that a good part of the time.
    Erica
    DD 1/05
    DS 9/08

Since one just does not simply walk into Mordor, I say we form a conga line and dance our way in.
    Excuse me, are you in a play​?

I voted one, but that is only because DD1 really, really, really wants to buy lunch like everyone else instead of bringing, but rarely, if ever, wants any of the hot lunch options. So *maybe* once a week she'll buy a PB&J sandwich. If I send in a PB&J type of sandwich it's actually sunbutter because DD1 prefers the taste of sunbutter.

(And can I just say that I absolutely HATE the fact that the school serves Uncrustables as their PB&J option? My kid used to be happy to eat natural peanut butter (or, well, sunbutter) and HFCS-free jam with chunks of actual fruit in it on wheat bread, including crusts, and now she asks for "Smuckers PBJ" because "it's so much yummier than the ones you make, Mommy!" Grrr.)

She had a nut-allergic friend in her class last year (and they're in multi-age, so unless his parents opted to pull him out he'll be there this year too) and she's fully aware that if she brings/buys PB&J she can't sit at the same table as this classmate.
    Mommy to:
    Carolyn, 10/04
    Anna, 7/08
    Matthew, 8/13

DS doesn't like PB at all. Weirdo! lol
    Al

DS 10/25/03
    DD 1/23/07

DD is starting K this year. One of her favorite lunches is a peanut butter
    and banana burrito (pb&b wrapped in a tortilla). Over the summer I've
    been slowly transitioning her to sunbutter (we're not at 100% yet, but
    I'm hopeful). I don't believe her class will be nut-free (I know the school
    isn't), but we have friends with peanut allergies and I'll just be more
    comfortable sending nut-free lunches.
    Jane

o_mom is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

DS1 is usually 2-3 of the five days. DS2 doesn't care for it (but will eat it in a pinch). The school serves PB&J every day on the menu, but has a nut-free table. DS1 would eat it every day, but I like to send a variety. If it were banned, I would have no issues sending other things.
    Mama to three boys ('03, '05, '07)

Moneypenny is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

DD would happily eat it every day (because she can make it herself and she's really into "cooking" right now) but I limit it to 1x per week. Each grade has a nut free classroom for snack purposes and the cafeteria has nut free tables for lunch.
    Moneypenny
    DD is 19!

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    This isn't an "I forgot" item. It's a daily menu item that kids can choose to buy every single day if they like.

ETA: And of course, I don't think all districts are like this. But it is true in ours.

Here's the June menu: http://www.fcps.edu/fs/food/food_at_.../ES-June10.pdf
    It's interesting to hear that many of your districts serve peanut butter in the cafeteria. Our school district's food services doesn't serve any products with nuts--instead, they offer sunbutter and jelly sandwiches daily as one of their options.

I wasn't really sure how to vote. It's "never" and it's because he buys lunch at the cafeteria. The school isn't peanut free, but they don't serve anything with nuts in the cafeteria. At the teacher's discretion, they separate kids with allergies from children who bring lunches with PB.
    Boy (4/03) -- Girl (12/05) -- Boy (11/10)

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

My preschooler will eat PBJ probably three times a week. I am very open to other alternatives though for DD1 once she gets into school and might have to deal with a peanut free classroom. I'd do almond butter for her then and limit it to once or twice a week since it is way more than regular peanut butter. DD1 isn't big on meat either, but loves nuts so they are big part of her diet.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast