View Poll Results: On a typical week, how many days does your K-3rd grader eat PB&J for lunch at school?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Five

11 10.00%
  • Four

10 9.09%
  • Three

14 12.73%
  • Two

12 10.91%
  • One

10 9.09%
  • Never or almost never due to taste/diet preference

31 28.18%
  • Never due to my child's nut allergies

11 10.00%
  • Never due to school or classroom being nut-free (but my own kid isn't allergic)

11 10.00%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5
    maiaann is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

During the school year they're not allowed PB due to nut allergies at the school and DD "buys her lunch" (eats what the school provides.)

During the summer she eats PB&J several times a week. It's what she always requests when we have a "choose what you want" night. It's one of her favorites.

S/O... My DH's best friend can't stand PB&J as an adult. Too many years of packed sandwiches during his childhood and he developed an aversion. I find that amusing!
    DD1 10/01
    DD2 02/07
    DD3 07/09

essnce629 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Twice a week.

DS1 was peanut-free for about a year and now prefers the taste of soynut butter so that's what he gets. He'd probably like to eat soynut butter and jelly sandwiches every day, but I want him to have a variety of foods and don't think it's a good idea to eat the same thing every single day. So I only give it to him twice a week. The other days he eats sardines with crackers, tuna with crackers, or pita bread with cream cheese or hummus. He doesn't really like meat sanwiches.
    Latia (Birth & Postpartum Doula and Infant Nanny)
    Conner 8/19/03 (My 1st home birthed water baby!)
    Parker 5/23/09 (My 2nd home birthed water baby!)

ilfaith is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Neither of my two older boys particularly like PB&J. Their preschool was/is nut-free, so they never had it at school when they were younger. They're not all that crazy about Sunbutter either, and frankly they really don't care for cream cheese and jelly. Maybe it's the jelly they don't like.

ncat is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I voted never because of school restrictions. In reality DD's school has none, but her daycare/afterschool program does. I've been trained "no nuts" since she started daycare at 2, and I'm just not comfortable packing her a lunch for school that is not OK for daycare as her lunchbox and leftovers, etc. travel with her.

As I posted in the other thread, I was traumatized by a food allergy related death in my high school. I would never want to be the cause of a tragedy like that!
    ncat
    mama to DD 12/04, DS1 11/08, and DS2 7/13

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I don't know how to vote. Neither girl eats PB because they are allergic to peanuts, BUT both their daycare rooms and DD#1's school (along with the entire school district) is peanut and nut free. So, regardless of their FA status, they would never eat PB anyway. The in-home daycare they used to attend was also 100% nut-free as well.

Nut free places are very common here. Its not a huge deal to cope with the rules. I will say, however, that it is far far easier to find nut-free snack items in Canada than it is in the US, though. We struggle more when we travel in the US and often take an entire suitcase of snack/quick foods that are "safe".
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

Clarity is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

You're missing the obligatory "other".
    DD2 does have a nut allergy and their school is now nut free but dd1 has no allergies. As a subsitute, my dd's get sunbutter and jelly sandwiches at school but I send them less than once a week. Maybe 1 every two weeks?
    big girl 6/06
    little girl 9/08

"I'm not stupid; I just don't stop to proofread." (PRM?)

I didn't get to answer in the poll because my answer would be: None due to me not wanting to worry about triggering any allergy. His class last year asked for snacks to be nut-free due to allergies but he was allowed to bring PB to the Cafeteria and sit at the peanut table. I figured it was easier to just say "NO PB/NUTS" to him rather than worry about whether he washed his hands well enough (or at all) after lunch!
    Colleen
    Mom to 2 DS (5/'04 and 1/'09)

octmom is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Never, though he didn't have any nut restrictions in K last year. We got used to no nuts when he was in preschool. The whole school (preschool- 5th grade) is nut-free. DS eats sun butter and likes it. He isn't interested in PB, though I sometimes wish he was because it is cheaper.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5