Raidra is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Yardsale Recap and Great Tip!

Our yardsale was pretty disappointing. Not only was there no drama (thank goodness), but we only made about half of what we made at our previous yardsale, despite having a better turnout, more items out for sale, and good quality items priced low. I kept the big items that didn't sell and listed them on Craigslist, hopefully that'll bring in another $100.

The really disappointing part was that we had a LOT of stuff left over. Like.. a LOT. Lots of brand new, never been worn mens shirts from LL Bean, Izod, Ralph Lauren, etc (my mom likes to buy clothes for my husband that are the wrong style and wrong size). Tons of really nice baby clothes, some good toys and games, etc, etc. I hated the idea of just throwing it out, didn't want to put it all back in the attic, and didn't want to box it up and bring it to Goodwill. Like I've said before.. I'm lazy.

So we posted to Craigslist and Freecycle that we had a ton of stuff left over from the yardsale and that it was all free.. just come and take whatever you want. People started showing up within a half hour of posting to Craigslist, and almost all of it was gone within an hour and a half. One couple showed up with a UHaul trailer!

I'm so proud of myself for coming up with that idea. I'm glad it's not going in the trash, and if people want to resell it, I honestly don't care.. so long as someone gets use out of it. And I'm *really* glad that I have significantly less cleanup to do! We're leaving the stuff out in our driveway until tomorrow afternoon, and I have high hopes that it'll be all gone.

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I did this at my sister's garage sale. I posted on Freecycle about leftovers and someone from a mom's group trying to raise money with a sale, took *everything*. My sister was thrilled.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

kijip is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Raidra View Post
    The really disappointing part was that we had a LOT of stuff left over. Like.. a LOT. Lots of brand new, never been worn mens shirts from LL Bean, Izod, Ralph Lauren, etc (my mom likes to buy clothes for my husband that are the wrong style and wrong size).
    I have never seen adult clothes sell at yard sales much, even if they were NWT. People seem all over kids clothes but not the same with adults. I think adults have such specific preferences, see more value in new clothes for themselves (because they are not growing out of things the same way as kids) and are not patient looking for just the right thing etc.
    Katie, mama to a pair of boys.