Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    SammyeGail is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Sounds like we should citymama! I remember when I've used the free trials found on slickdeals.net I would send an invite to DH's work email, all we had to verify were each other birthdays. He ordered things and had them sent to his work address.

If DSS ever writes me back....he's doing the college life things and has a serious girlfriend. Its the weekend and I doubt he's online much. I also wonder if he's concerned his Mother will find out . She causes him all kinds of distress, they live in the same city but he only talks to her about twice a month. She totally freaks about him having any contact with 'us', she says she's going to loose him, he's 20 yrs old! Jeez!

Thanks everyone! I may ask him if he will send an invite to DH instead. That way if his mother ask it for some reason it wouldn't be as horrible as if he sent one to me.
    Samantha
    Twin Boys - 11/20/05
    N. and J. - My heart and hands are full!

The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places. Hemingway

I considered doing this with my IL's Prime but decided against it when I read that some accounts were canceled that had a Kindle attached to it...... in that case you lose all your books and possibly your access(?) Not worth it in that case since both FIL and I have one.
    ~C~

Mama to a curious daughter born in May 2006 and a persistent son born in July 2008.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MommyofAmaya View Post
    I considered doing this with my IL's Prime but decided against it when I read that some accounts were canceled that had a Kindle attached to it...... in that case you lose all your books and possibly your access(?) Not worth it in that case since both FIL and I have one.
    Why were they canceled - I don't understand. MIL has a Kindle and I'd hate for anyhthing to happen to her account because she sent me a Prime invitation.

for Sandy Hook

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    Why were they canceled - I don't understand. MIL has a Kindle and I'd hate for anyhthing to happen to her account because she sent me a Prime invitation.
    I'm sure you've read about the mass cancellations of Amazon accounts in the past, Prime "abuse" often suspected.

Then there is this issue:
    http://www.crn.com/blogs-op-ed/the-c...2-A**.ecappj01

So cumulatively, too risky for me.. especially since ILs bought my Kindle.
    ~C~

Mama to a curious daughter born in May 2006 and a persistent son born in July 2008.

As long as you know someone's name, birthday, and e-mail address, add away. This is AGAINST AMAZON'S rules...they do state that you should be actual family, but many, many people share an account with their friends....they just "adopt" them as aunts, cousins, etc. Is it shady? Yup. But if you want to go for it, and pm other BBB members interested in sharing prime, I won't judge you (hint wink)

Up to 4 accounts can be added to the Primary account, meaning there can be 5 total accounts sharing. Working out the math, results in a very affordable $15.80 for each person

I split with my relatives, and the $16 per year has paid for itself over, and over, and over.

If I see a book I want for two bucks, I just get it, rather than adding it to my cart and waiting until I have $25 worth of stuff that I want. By then, the clearance book is usually long gone.
    Last edited by Jo..; 09-04-2010 at 03:21 PM.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MommyofAmaya View Post
    I'm sure you've read about the mass cancellations of Amazon accounts in the past, Prime "abuse" often suspected.

Then there is this issue:
    http://www.crn.com/blogs-op-ed/the-c...2-A**.ecappj01

So cumulatively, too risky for me.. especially since ILs bought my Kindle.
    Wow, I had no idea! I've only once made a return to amazon and it was a $40 gift so hopefully I'm not on their $hit list. Good to know!

for Sandy Hook

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I believe Amazon changed the policy about a year ago. People new to Prime can only add people in the same household. Those of us with older Amazon Prime accounts are "grandfathered" in and can add anyone they'd like.

Wow, I had no idea! I've only once made a return to amazon and it was a $40 gift so hopefully I'm not on their $hit list. Good to know!
    I think the concern is more with chronic abusers. Amazon pays return shipping under most circumstances; people who routinely abuse that (as in, frequently buy stuff, try it and don't like it, and return it for a bogus reason to avoid paying return shipping) are the ones getting targeted for cancellation.
    Last edited by wellyes; 09-04-2010 at 03:40 PM.
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

Quote Originally Posted by citymama View Post
    Don't worry. You're fine. I remember last Christmas when a lot of items were changing prices constantly, people would reorder the item at the lower price and then refuse the delivery of the one they bought at the higher price. Those are the people Amazon is targeting.
    Mommy to 2 DS's (2003 and 2007)

chlobo is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by SammyeGail View Post
    Sounds like we should citymama! I remember when I've used the free trials found on slickdeals.net I would send an invite to DH's work email, all we had to verify were each other birthdays. He ordered things and had them sent to his work address.

If DSS ever writes me back....he's doing the college life things and has a serious girlfriend. Its the weekend and I doubt he's online much. I also wonder if he's concerned his Mother will find out . She causes him all kinds of distress, they live in the same city but he only talks to her about twice a month. She totally freaks about him having any contact with 'us', she says she's going to loose him, he's 20 yrs old! Jeez!

Thanks everyone! I may ask him if he will send an invite to DH instead. That way if his mother ask it for some reason it wouldn't be as horrible as if he sent one to me.
    I'm sure I"m in the minority here but I would *NOT* get added to your step sons account. Since the rules specifically prohibit him from adding people with other addresses he would be breaking the rules. Since he is concerned with "breaking the rules" (no matter the reason) why encourage him to do so? Praise him for being diligent and following the rules and try to not make waves with your husband's ex-wife, which I can imagine will only make your life more miserable and it seems you have enough on your plate already.

pastrygirl is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by wellyes View Post
    I believe Amazon changed the policy about a year ago. People new to Prime can only add people in the same household. Those of us with older Amazon Prime accounts are "grandfathered" in and can add anyone they'd like.
    Do you know if this is written somewhere? I've had Prime forever, and would love to add my sister.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2