Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    SammyeGail is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Default Skin around lips, lower lip is so sore!-some sort of rash-allergy Q in #4...

I always use some sort of lip balm, I usually use Blistex, but ran out and used some Burts Bees I had gotten in a gift bag. My bottom lip was feeling funny, DH was going to the store and I remembered to ask him for some Blistex, he brought home a 3 pack. This was Saturday. I had a small crack on one side so used it alot since it was 'medicated'.

This AM: the cracked place is much better but throughout today my lower lip is so sore and the skin below is very painful and irritated. Its not really red or inflamed, but had tons of tiny clear bumps all underneath it.

I don't know if this is something to do with my auto-immune condition or what, but it feels like its on fire. It is incredibly painful. The medicated Blistex seems to sooth is some.

I don't know if this is a reaction to the Blistex, I ran out about 3 weeks ago and used the Burts Bee. I don't know why my lip/skin would react to something I stopped using only aprx. 3 weeks ago.

Thanks to anyone who might know what this might be or any advice.
    Last edited by SammyeGail; 09-07-2010 at 04:50 PM.
    Samantha
    Twin Boys - 11/20/05
    N. and J. - My heart and hands are full!

The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places. Hemingway

Default I called a pharmasist....

I called a local pharmasist and she said to try hydrocortisone cream, sounds like some sort of allergic reaction. After looking in the mirror again I could tell my bottom lip is much more 'fuller', so it is inflamed. I just put the creme on the skin below my lip.

I would call my doctor but you end up leaving a mssg with the nurse and they don't call you back for hours, by this time it would be after closing and they will just tell me to make an appt the next AM. I love my dr. and the NP there, but not crazy about the nurses.

I hope this creme helps! I've got a very painful3" long burn on my right arm from the iron, I've strained my left wrist (I'm left handed), I don't need any more aches and pains!
    Samantha
    Twin Boys - 11/20/05

The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places. Hemingway

That happened to me when I discovered I was allergic to mango. I ate a lot of it for the second or third time in my life and got exactly what you're describing surrounding my mouth. I ended up needing steroids.
    Boy (4/03) -- Girl (12/05) -- Boy (11/10)

Quote Originally Posted by luckytwenty View Post
    That happened to me when I discovered I was allergic to mango. I ate a lot of it for the second or third time in my life and got exactly what you're describing surrounding my mouth. I ended up needing steroids.
    Had you ever had any problems with Mango before? This makes me wonder...

I had this same kind of flair-up in one corner a few weeks ago. We had gotten 1/2 of a watermelon. We bought a small watermelon for the weekend. I ate alot more this time. I've never had problems with watermelon before but haven't had any in a very long time.

Can someone develop an allergy to a fruit later in life?
    Samantha
    Twin Boys - 11/20/05

Burts Bees has peppermint oil in it, and some people are sensitive to it. That very well could be it.
    Mama to "The Fantastic Four":
    DS 02
    DD 06
    DS 09
    DD 12

Quote Originally Posted by daisymommy View Post
    Burts Bees has peppermint oil in it, and some people are sensitive to it. That very well could be it.
    Thats what DH said, if that's it I guess it took a while to kick in. It feels better, I think the hydrocortisone cream helped alot.

Burts Bees limb blam is going in the trash!
    Samantha
    Twin Boys - 11/20/05

Quote Originally Posted by SammyeGail View Post
    Had you ever had any problems with Mango before? This makes me wonder...

I had this same kind of flair-up in one corner a few weeks ago. We had gotten 1/2 of a watermelon. We bought a small watermelon for the weekend. I ate alot more this time. I've never had problems with watermelon before but haven't had any in a very long time.

Can someone develop an allergy to a fruit later in life?
    Ragweed is in season now and if you have pollen allergies, you can react to things like melon in and around your mouth/throat. It's called oral allergy syndrome. Reaction to foods can depend on quantity eaten, if it's been peeled or cooked, how ripe it is, etc.
    Do you have allergies to pollen?
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

Quote Originally Posted by pinkmomagain View Post
    Ragweed is in season now and if you have pollen allergies, you can react to things like melon in and around your mouth/throat. It's called oral allergy syndrome. Reaction to foods can depend on quantity eaten, if it's been peeled or cooked, how ripe it is, etc.
    Do you have allergies to pollen?
    YES!! I have to take Allegra-D year round. I can tell its worse right now because of the extra sinus pressure/sinus headaches and upper congestion. Jo, and now DH has a virus, I feel that I have it because I am extra weak. Have been since Fri.

DH has suggested Aquaphor, its much more soothing than the hydrocortisone cream!

Thanks Gina! Even though nothing is inside my mouth that sounds like it!
    Last edited by SammyeGail; 09-07-2010 at 08:04 PM. Reason: edit because I googled, lol
    Samantha
    Twin Boys - 11/20/05

DrSally is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I called a local pharmasist and she said to try hydrocortisone cream, sounds like some sort of allergic reaction. After looking in the mirror again I could tell my bottom lip is much more 'fuller', so it is inflamed. I just put the creme on the skin below my lip.
    This exact thing happened to me. It was the sunscreen in some lipstick that caused an allergic reaction for me. The doctor at the time said to put some hydrocortisone cream on it and it cleared it up.
    Sally

My Joyful DS
    My Lovely DD

Please excuse the typos. Getting used to a virtual keyboard

MamaMolly is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DH has suggested Aquaphor, its much more soothing than the hydrocortisone cream!
    Slightly OT, but it sounds like he is really trying to help. that is really nice to hear! Hope things are better on that front. I've been thinking PT for you guys!
    Molly
    Lula '06 outgrew her allergy to milk & eggs, still allergic to peanuts and cats
    Dolly '10

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast