Default Age/stage for back carry?

I'd like to start wearing DD2 on my back in the Beco. She's a tiny 5 months (about 12 lbs). I looked at the Beco website, and couldn't find any guidelines. Anyone know what age/stage they need to be at to carry them safely on the back?

Thanks!
    DD1 '08
    DD2 '10

doberbrat is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Its best to start when they have good head control and can sit assisted for a newbie. That being said, many people, myself included, start back carries MUCH younger.

I think you're fine.

Uno-Mom is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

If you FB, I'd check out the Babywearingsafety site. I'm sure they would have an accrurate answer based on research. If they don't, you can pose the question.

That said (I don't know the research or anything...) I'd go with PP and say go by head control. I know super-experienced babywearers who do it earlier and obviously women/men all over the world do it earlier, but I was sure scared to with DD - my 1st baby.

It was tricky for us. We do it with our Ergo and getting into position is awkward. So comfortable once she's there, though!

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

As long as she can spread her legs enough OR you have that butterfly model with the infant insert, I think you can go ahead and put her on your back. I would watch some instruction videos first.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/