My daughter has mongolian spots on her back.

On her second day of preschool, the school called DCFS without ever talking to us. The accusation was completely baseless and case has been marked "unfounded", it's been extremely difficult emotionally to deal with this. It took couple of letters to the school board president and superintendent of school before we even got a forced apology. The principal, nurse and the teachers(s) were clueless in this case.

Mandated reporters need to take some caution. Calling DCFS should not be considered lightly. While DCFS may help some families, they have also ruined many.

We have gotten questions from couple of people about the spots but never in my wildest dreams did I think a school would call DCFS without ever talking to us since Mongolian spots are common about certain ethic groups. They had no other circumstantial evidence. They forgot that while they are mandated, conveniently forgot about "reasonable" suspicion aspect of the law.

If your child has birthmarks or bruises from accidents, we as parents need to take caution and protect ourselves and be proactive. My wife and I will not be able to look at any teachers and administrators the same way again. Emotional scars be with us for years.