Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mousemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Why are owls so popular this year?

I've noticed a lot of owls on kids stuff - clothes, bags, blankets, etc., and even on some women's clothes. I'm not always up on popular culture, so I'm wondering if there's a reason it's so popular this season? Kid's movie, popular character or something? Or is it just a random decision on the part of the retail industry to start a new trend?
    DS 11/08
    DS2 3/13

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

there is some movie coming out
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

alien_host is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

There is a movie coming out....Legend of the Guardians.

liamsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

They've been gaining in popularity for the past few years too. Maybe a trickle down effect from Harry Potter? My DS' baby swing had owls on it.

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Owls are everywhere! I agree that it's been happening over a few years, and almost always in the Fall. Halloween/winter thing perhaps. Must be something aboutthe symmetry of an owl's face and what you can do with that. My fave of the bazillion owl clothes this season is the H&M owl dress - too cute!
    Last edited by citymama; 09-17-2010 at 10:03 PM.

for Sandy Hook

Default Owls Outside

When I first read this I was thinking that you were talking about owls outside. We currently have two owls in the neighborhood. It is pretty neat when we take our nightly walks to hear them.
    DD 11/10

mousemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Thanks for satisfying my curiosity about the movie coming out. I actually think the owls are cute, just wondering where this trend came from.
    DS 11/08
    DS2 3/13

Beth24 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I actually got a Kissy Kissy footed sleeper for my newborn as a gift that has an owl on it. I thought it was a strange choice to put on clothes for an infant!
    DS, 15
    DD, 10
    DS, 3

I had not noticed that owls are popular now, but I have two thoughts aside from the movie (which is probably a big factor for the kid-related stuff). First, I have noticed that print fabrics with little birds on a branch/on a tree are very popular, first in baby prints and then elsewhere. Maybe owls are an off-shoot of that. Kind of like this http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tree-Pi.../dp/B002RWMMKK

Second, maybe it's cyclical. Owls were very popular in the mid-1970's... I remember many dresses and embrodiery things with owls, macrame owl deorations (my mom had several), stained glass owls, etc. Seriously, my mom doesn't care a... dare I say it?... doesn't care a hoot about decor, but I remember many owl-themed items in my house as a young child.
    Advice and commentary on living overseas

DD1 15, DD2 12, and DS 9

liamsmom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by american_mama View Post
    I had not noticed that owls are popular now, but I have two thoughts aside from the movie (which is probably a big factor for the kid-related stuff). First, I have noticed that print fabrics with little birds on a branch/on a tree are very popular, first in baby prints and then elsewhere. Maybe owls are an off-shoot of that. Kind of like this http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tree-Pi.../dp/B002RWMMKK

Second, maybe it's cyclical. Owls were very popular in the mid-1970's... I remember many dresses and embrodiery things with owls, macrame owl deorations (my mom had several), stained glass owls, etc. Seriously, my mom doesn't care a... dare I say it?... doesn't care a hoot about decor, but I remember many owl-themed items in my house as a young child.

You're right! I remember macrame owls in my childhood.

Honestly, I love the sparrow and owl themes right now. I find them really cute. If I had found that bedding last year, it would be in DS's bedroom right now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast