Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by egoldber View Post
    Yes, based on the books, I think "LOTR with owls" is a good description. I think the trailer does a good job of indicating that there are dark elements to the plot.

I included a link to the movie trailer with the party invite so that parents could watch it. One child we invited decided it was too scary, so they are just coming to the pizza part of the party and not the movie part.
    DH said there are darker parts than what was shown in the trailer. DS is only 5, and still too young to deal with that. Older kids would be fine. He says boys 8-10 would love it, but unless they know the books, they probably won't want to see a movie about owls.

Sending the trailer link was a good idea. It sounds like it will be a fun party.

Lolabee is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

I noticed after I had already started decorating the baby's room with an owl theme that they were becoming quite trendy all of a sudden. I used this Dwell pattern as my jumping off point, but just used a few pieces since it was so expensive. I think they're becoming popular because it's a little bit retro and not quite so cutesy as some other patterns. I think the recent trend towards including shades of brown in nursery decor may also have something to do with the owl's increasing popularity.

alien_host is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

MIL is a collector of owl stuff...figurines etc. I tend to pick up owl themed items for her and for DD since I do think they are cute. We've had many owl t-shirts over the years. In fact I just go this one at Crazy 8 http://www.crazy8.com/shop/dept_item...=1284836584442

And last year or the year before we had one from Baby Gap and Janie and Jack. And we have the Giddy Giddy Owl clips...

I've also seen Owl Bedding for kids at Target and PBK....and I think PBK has an owl costume for halloween.
    Last edited by alien_host; 09-18-2010 at 03:06 PM.

lizzywednesday is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

We're big fans of the owl in our house ... ever since DD noticed a stuffed owl at Whole Foods, we've gone a bit owl-crazy!

I just bought her the owl dress from Target that Melaine linked ... in addition to owl things in the next 3 sizes. Gymboree has some of the cutest owl stuff, IMO, but I have to figure out their sizing!

What's really interesting to my husband's family is ... his late grandmother used to collect things with owls or elephants, so DD's "affection" for owls is really a sweet reminder to him, his mom & aunts of his grandmother.

Oh, and thanks to egoldber (Beth) for the author & series name for those books. I'm interested in reading them!!!
    ==========================================
    Liz
    DD (3/2010)

"Make mistakes! Get messy!" - Miss Frizzle

citymama is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

There's something about that Target dress that bothers me - I think that the owl is upside down like a bat! I love the purple H&M owl dress - Melaine, since you dress your twins in coordinated stuff, check it out - there's a similar squirrel dress as well in 2 colors that I got my DD. Very retro and pop-arty.

for Sandy Hook

mousemom is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by american_mama View Post
    I had not noticed that owls are popular now, but I have two thoughts aside from the movie (which is probably a big factor for the kid-related stuff). First, I have noticed that print fabrics with little birds on a branch/on a tree are very popular, first in baby prints and then elsewhere. Maybe owls are an off-shoot of that. Kind of like this http://www.amazon.com/Little-Tree-Pi.../dp/B002RWMMKK

Second, maybe it's cyclical. Owls were very popular in the mid-1970's... I remember many dresses and embrodiery things with owls, macrame owl deorations (my mom had several), stained glass owls, etc. Seriously, my mom doesn't care a... dare I say it?... doesn't care a hoot about decor, but I remember many owl-themed items in my house as a young child.
    I think you (and others) are right that it's a cyclical thing and kind of an off-shot of the birds/branches style that's been popular the last couple of years. Owls seemed like kind of a strange choice for children's stuff, but I suppose it's really not any stranger than putting a tiger or a bear on children's clothing/bedding. I'm just used to seeing that. As another poster pointed out, at least owls are supposed to be "wise".
    DS 11/08
    DS2 3/13

spanannie is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by niccig View Post
    Just a FYI on this. DH worked on this movie and he said he would not take DS to see it. DS is 6 yo in a few months. DH thinks it's too dark for DS. He thought it should be more for 8-10 year olds.
    Obviously I haven't seen the movie, since it's not out yet, but DS, 8, read the 1st book from the series, as did I, and it is INCREDIBLE. He had just finished 1st grade. There are dark parts, but also very touching parts and a strong moral story. It didn't disturb him at all.
    Last edited by spanannie; 09-18-2010 at 05:48 PM.
    Annie ~
    Mom three Junebugs: 9, 7 and 3

niccig is offline Clean Sweep forum moderator

Quote Originally Posted by spanannie View Post
    Obviously I haven't seen the movie, since it's not out yet, but DS, 8, read the 1st book from the series, as did I, and it is INCREDIBLE. He had just finished 1st grade. There are dark parts, but also very touching parts and a strong moral story. It didn't disturb him at all.
    I want to read the books. I think my DS would be fine with the movie/story when he's closer to 8 too. I think other younger kids could be fine with it -my point is just that it is darker than what some might think.

I think it actually started a few years ago with Harry Potter. It has grown since, alo9ng with some other cyclical trending back towards 70s in colors and styles (though not the hideous macrame type style). The movement to be more green seems to have brought with it a lot of trending towards nature type prints over the last couple years. Lots of nature prints with birds have been seen in linens for bed and bath, fabric for purses (Vera Bradley has had Night Owls and Yellow Bird both now retired, JJB just came out with a sparrow print), etc. Often sparrows and smaller birds are featured. While larger birds are often predators, the sparrows are typically seed eaters and are thought of more favorably. They are also Biblically referenced leading some to choose them in prints.
    All that I am, or hope to be, I owe to my angel mother.
    ~Abraham Lincoln~

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3