Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default do you cook with your kids?

I think ds would really enjoy cooking with me, but my kitchen is TINY (I live in NYC lol) so I work at one pretty small counter that I could have him stand on a chair next to. We have a nicer sized table in the other room that would be easier than in the kitchen, but then I don't have everything we need right there.

What would/do you do?

Thanks
    mommy to the loves of my life ds (Oct. 2008) and dd (Aug. 2011)

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Yes, my kids love to help. We have a crinkle cutter from a montessori catalog that both kids like to use (I let them cut cucumbers, zucchini, etc. with that). DS1 is pretty good in the kitchen and made eggs for everyone this morning w/ supervision (but he did everything else by himself).

My last kitchen was a smallish U shape, but we had two walk in pantries so I had good storage space for our learning tower.

My kids love to help cook.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

AnnieW625 is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Yes I do let DD1 cook with me, and she also loves doing dishes. I haven't let her use a knife yet outside of a dinner knife, but she is slowly learning how things work. Last weekend it was the can opener to help me make some soup.

Britone, which Montessori catalog do you get? A crinkle cutter would be a good way to start!
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieW625 View Post
    Yes I do let DD1 cook with me, and she also loves doing dishes. I haven't let her use a knife yet outside of a dinner knife, but she is slowly learning how things work. Last weekend it was the can opener to help me make some soup.

Britone, which Montessori catalog do you get? A crinkle cutter would be a good way to start!
    Ours is from For Small Hands or their older kid site. You can probably find one in a B&M store...a lot of the things in FSH can be found elsewhere (and for less $$). The small stuff like that is great for stocking stuffers. My weird kids have loved their nutcracker from FSH, and the crinkle cutter

eta: we let our kids use a steak knife with supervision from about 3ish on for cutting their food. I would like to pick up a plastic lettuce knife for them to use in the kitchen for certain cooking tasks. I've heard sometimes dollar stores carry them, but I haven't had any luck yet. I'll probably order one at some point.
    Last edited by brittone2; 10-19-2010 at 12:33 PM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

DS1 LOVES LOVES LOVES to help me in the kitchen! We have a little step stool that he uses to stand at the counter with me. It folds up when not in use and fits in the space between my stove and cabinets. It's like this oine: http://www.asseenontv.com/prod-pages...ldz_stool.html. I got it at CVS.

He's great at mixing cake and brownie mixes and using my Pampered Chef Food Chopper to chop up veggies. Don't quite trust him with a knife yet.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Both kids love to cook! They help my husband ALOT! I am a horrible cook
    and barely manage to get by during the week. DH takes over on the weekend
    and then we eat like kings.

My DH lets them do many different things in the kitchen. The kids have
    their own aprons. They love to help!
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Yep! We started when ds1 was about 3. Now he makes us things like muffins all by himself! (I'm charge of hot things and help when necessary.) I love that he enjoys baking with me. I need to start with ds2 soon! I tried but he wasn't interested a few weeks ago.

Beth

Bumbee uses a plastic lettuce knife, Santa put it in her stocking last year. she likes to takes the seeds out of squash, sprinkle shredded cheese, stir, etc.
    Mama to Bumbee. A VERY busy girl...
    Making me a VERY Mama.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Right now the girls help Dh make pancakes, lay out veggie bacon strips for the microwave, fold coffee filters, and spoon coffee. Occasionally they "help" me roll out pizza dough, and Dora has gotten better at laying out toppings. She is hankering to make Halloween cookies, but I can't decide if I just want to buy the Pilsbury dough to cut, or buy cookie cutters and make the dough myself.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

they help roll out and prick pizza dough, mix batters etc. They are no longer allowed anywhere near the stove
    Margaret and
    (DS 2/06) and (DD 3/08)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast