Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    weech is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Default Braces? As an adult?

I had braces as a kid (and retainers/headgear, the whole nine). They didn't do a stellar job, as I still have some gaps on the top and bottom because a few of my teeth never came in. I also have an overbite that I HATE.

So... I've done all the prep work to get braces again. I'm only 26 and I hate my smile/pictures of myself/etc. Am I crazy to do this? Has anyone BTDT? I asked my husband what he thought and while he was trying to be supportive, he said "it'll be like dating a teenager!"

Braces are expensive and my dental insurance doesn't cover adult orthodontics. Initially, they thought they'd have to break my lower jaw to bring it forward (ugh), but now the ortho thinks he can close the gaps and my overbite with just braces.

Should I just learn to love the way I look, or should I take the plunge and look like a 14 year old for the next 18 months?
    Rachel
    Momma to my sweet little bubba
    04/2010

I did it age 41 (a couple of years ago) and I donot regret it. I got a small windfall from a relative and therefore didn't feel the guilt to spend the $$. If I had to do it again, *maybe* I would go with Invisalign as opposed to traditional, clear braces. I looked a little silly with braces. But I was OK with it. I used to joke that my husband had wife with a 41 yo body and a 14 yo mouth.

Do it!
    DD1 - 1996
    DD2 - 1999
    DD3 - 2005

Surfaces are for working, not for storing. - Peter Walsh

bubbaray is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I work with someone who got braces in her mid-40s. She had "real" braces for about a year (possibly longer) and then went to Invisalign.

I had braces as a teen on my lower teeth and they moved, so as an adult, I wore a retainer-like appliance for a few months and then had a permanent retainer glued onto the back of my teeth -- it was there for about 15 years. I had it removed almost 2 yrs ago and now wear a night/bite guard at night that also works like an Invisalign to keep them straight.

I would totally do it. You are young and have a lot of years to look at your own smile!
    Melissa

DD#1: April 2004
    DD#2: January 2007

"My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." Jack Layton 1950 - 2011

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

I did invisalign and then another good bit in braces afterward. I knew up front invisalign probably couldn't take care of everything, but we agreed to go as far with it as we could and then I did braces while I was pg with DD.

I'm glad I did it in retrospect. When I was in my 20s I looked young for my age and I often felt like people shot me looks like I was a pregnant teenager because the braces made me look even younger. However, I am totally glad that I went through with it.

My ortho gave me the option of doing the Damon speed braces which are all metal. She didn't tell me about them until I was in the chair about to get my brackets on and I had to make a decision on the spot, which I wasn't happy with. She said my treatment time with those would be much faster. She put one bracket on for me to see and I just couldn't bring myself to do it. I ended up with ceramic brackets which were still very noticeable, but I just couldn't do all metal. Had I had more chance to think it over I might have opted for the Damon speed braces but I was forced to decide on the spot (which I wasn't too happy about).

Best of luck in your decision!
    eta: I have a permanent retainer on the back of my uppers in the front and I wear invisalign type retainers (not made by invisalign) at night. My DH was very supportive and actually did some invisalign for himself (but only needed a very short course) at the same time I had mine.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Do it for yourself! My husband is an orthodontist and he says the adults are just SO HAPPY with the results. He has patients who never smiled with an open mouth before braces. If you want to see some before/after photos of his adult patients, go here.

I personally think it's not the same as plastic surgery because straight teeth/braces have become so universal in many American communities. Now, I realize with that logic that I would have to admit that folks in LA who get elective procedures done are just trying to blend in with everyone else too!

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

My Pediatrician did it..she is in her 40's.
    Short term sacrifice for long term gain is the way I see it.
    Go for it.

okinawama is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I'm 28 and currently have them. I had never had them as a child, and my teeth weren't terrible, but there were a few that made me self consious. I decided to go for it and I'm thrilled. Even with the braces on I can the changes that are happening not only to my teeth but the shape of my face

Go for it, there are down side....the cost, being an adult with braces, they can be painful....but in my opinion for what you get in the end, the pros out weigh the cons.

I currently have them, for the past 20 months (I am 36). I had them when I was young, never wore retainers and things moved a lot. I did get the lingual braces, Incognito. it took a few weeks to get used to, my speech was different at first and food does not taste as good. But it was totally worth it. I got many different quotes for all types of braces, and I ended up paying about $1500 more for Incognito braces then traditional braces (some quotes were for double the amount of traditional braces).

I used my flex spending acct through work to pay for most of it, and my dental plan paid for $1000. Many will give you a discount if you pay in full, which I was able to do with the flex spending.

Also when picking an orthodonist, find one that sees lots of adults. Many that I met only had one large exam room with many stations so there was no privacy and you could be sitting next to kids while you were getting worked on. Also check the hours, as I did not find one ortho in my area who worked full time. My current ortho only works M-W. She has a separate exam room for adults, and I try to make my appts in the morning when she is slower (most kids in school).

Go for it!!! It is the best thing I have done for myself in a long time.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

i was in similar situation...i got braces when i was very young (8yo), got headgear etc but they didn't do a great job and/or they did it too soon. i ended up deciding to get braces again when i was 21, finally got them off at 23. and yeah, they were $$ and i had to pay out of pocket for them. i'll admit i got the occasionally stare or so, esp since i was in college at the time. i even had people confuse me for a high schooler sometimes (tho that' can't be too bad when you're in your mid-20s!) i agree that it's worth it in the end. i had really crooked teeth on the bottom and i figured it was better to just get it over with. the day i got them taken off was one of the best days ever!

I was about your age when I got braces, and I don't regret my decision for a second. I got the traditional metal brackets, but very few strangers made comments about them. I used to be one of those people who would cover my mouth whenever I laughed because I hated the way I looked, but now I flash my beautiful straight pearly whites and am so happy I don't have to live with my ugly teeth anymore. Another benefit is that it is so much easier to take care of my teeth now -- and I am more motivated, too.

I don't think you will regret it!
    DS1 2006
    DS2 2009

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast