Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Question how to grocery shop with a new baby??

I need some advice from experienced moms! I am a new mom to a beautiful 3 week old little girl and I'm getting to the point where I'm ready to get out of the house and start doing things like grocery shopping and errands with my little one.

So last week I tried going to wal mart! I have a graco snugride 32 and I tried putting it on top of the cart like I have seen other moms do and it just didn't feel safe or secure to me, so I didn't want to do that. Then I thought I'd just put the carseat into the large part of the cart but the Snugride 32 doesn't fit! So I lugged the carseat back to the parking lot to get my snap n go but then I could only buy what would fit into the basket of the snap n go! Then I needed to go to the regular grocery store and couldn't buy everything I needed because of the same issue!

So how do you shop with a new baby?? I felt so ridiculous for not being able to figure it out. There has to be a way...any wise momma out there want to help a clueless new momma??? I feel so silly for needing help with something thing basic...

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I usually just kept them in the snugride and snapped it onto the top basket portion of the cart. It was secure, they were strapped in and I never left their side for even a second. You can always do a carrier (sling or the like) if that suits you.

Have you thought about wearing the baby in a sling or wrap?
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

Wear her. Do you have a Mei-Tai or a Moby wrap? Or even a Bjorn? Newborns generally love being all snuggled up close, and you have both hands and a whole cart to shop with.
    R, Mom to
    noodle 10.16.04
    peepers 11.12.09

twowhat? is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

1) carry baby in a wrap
    2) snap carseat into a compatible stroller
    3) place carseat sideways across main cart compartment (it will sit on top of the cart, but enough of the seat will fall below the cart's top margins that I can't imagine it falling out unless the cart tipped over). I know some people will still argue that this isn't safe - but I personally felt that it was pretty stable. Of course, always keep your eye on your little one.

AnnieW625 is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by infomama View Post
    I usually just kept them in the snugride and snapped it onto the top basket portion of the cart. It was secure, they were strapped in and I never left their side for even a second. You can always do a carrier (sling or the like) if that suits you.
    I did this too with my old Snugride 22 with DD1. We've done it in a pinch with DD2, but with the Safeseat (now the SR 35) the base doesn't fit right and I don't like doing it at all. I much prefer the sling (I have a Beco soft structured carrier) or using the Uppa Baby Vista with the carseat adaptor (as the Vista has a huge basket). The only carseat I have seen recently that fits well in the top of the basket besides the SR22 is the Peg Perego Primo Viaggio. This is not a popular option here, but just wanted to let the OP know that someone else here has done it.

Up until DD2 was about 5 mos. old I used the sling 99% of the time. Now at almost 6 mos. I have started using the Vista frame more, but I still use the sling if I don't have the Vista frame in the car or have DD1 with me and don't want to deal with her wanting to push the stroller in the store.
    Last edited by AnnieW625; 10-25-2010 at 04:02 PM.
    Annie
    WOHM to two wonderful little girls born in April
    DD E, 17
    DD L, 13,
    baby 2, 4-2009 (our Tri-18 baby)

willow33 is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I always wore the baby It gives you the whole cart and people are less likely to touch the new baby!
    ~H~

Mom to 3 sweet kids
    2003 ~ 2005 ~ 2009

JBaxter is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

I wore mine. It was SO much easier. I never put mine on top of the cart it is NOT safe. Get a carrier .. I liked my moby wrap in the beginning or even a baby bjorn for that new born stage. I could bf in my moby wrap.
    Jeana, Momma to 4 fantastic sons

Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions

edurnemk is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

You're right about the car seat, it's dangerous to put it on top of the cart (most car seat manuals even specify not to do so), if you must use it you need to put it in the main part of the cart (which leaves little space for groceries). I know a LOT of people put it on the top of the cart, but I just wanted to mention that you're not supposed to.

What I did with DS was either:
    1) wear him in a carrier (like 80% of the time this was my solution, DS was less fussy and would usually fall asleep, especially when very young),
    2) Go grocery shopping over the weekend with DH, or with a friend during the week. I'd either wear DS, push the stroller or put the car seat in the main part of a cart (if DS fell asleep in the car so we didn't want to take him out of the seat), and DH/my friend would push another cart with most of the groceries,
    3) For just a few groceries I'd take the Vista and use the humongous basket,
    4) Have groceries delivered, especially in the winter. I used peapod.com when I lived in Chicago.

HTH
    DS 1/08
    DD 7/2012

SnuggleBuggles is offline Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by JBaxter View Post
    I wore mine. It was SO much easier. I never put mine on top of the cart it is NOT safe. Get a carrier .. I liked my moby wrap in the beginning or even a baby bjorn for that new born stage. I could bf in my moby wrap.

It's truly the best way to shop with a little one. If they get fussy you just need to sway a bit- much easier than jiggling the stroller or shopping cart.

Don't let chilly weather dissuade you either. Take baby out of their carseat in the parking lot, put a blanket over her, and dash in. Once inside get her in the carrier. You can also just practice and get quick at it in the parking lot. I just know cold weather logistics sometimes is a hurdle that keeps people from wearing their babies- and it's really a non issue.

And if baby wakes up, odds are they will be happy snuggled up against you. I'm of the school of thought that I'd rather baby be up when we were out so they could take in the world. But, at 3w old baby will probably sleep even if you do have to wake her up to get in the carrier. Not a big deal.

Beth

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast