Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    srhs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Question Ear Infection Discharge -- Blood ok?

DS2 had chronic ear infections that resulted in tubes 4 months ago. Currently, he has his first ear infection since. The discharge, though, has some blood in it. He never had a discharge before the tubes, but a pedi told me to expect it post-tubes (a discharge that is, no mention of blood). When we took him to urgent care for the diagnosis yesterday, the blood wasn't there yet. It appeared today.

Is this ok? Why do these things ALWAYS happen afterhours?

Call your ped's after hours line and leave a message. When there's blood in something like this, this is the smart course.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

I'd be on the horn.

maestramommy is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

Agree with Ivy. I don't know whether it is okay, but if I saw blood coming out of my kid's ear, I'd call asap.
    Melinda
    Mommy to
    The Gift 10/01/05
    Elfgirl 5/25/07
    Sparky 6/27/09

"Sunset to Twilight, Our Family's Journey with Alzheimer's." http://maestramommi.blogspot.com/

TY! Ok, calling. The other issue was who to call. Since urgent care saw the infection (also afterhours), I felt weird calling pedi, so we are calling ENT.

I did find this on Dr Sears' site so feeling a bit better:
    "Ear drainage – if you see blood or pus draining out of the ear, then it is probably an infection with a ruptured eardrum. DON'T WORRY! These almost always heal just fine, and once the eardrum ruptures the pain subsides."

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

DD had an ear infection about 2 months after she had tubes in. It was a ton of yellow fluid and gunk on her pillow that I found. Yes, blood does mean a burst eardrum and relief of pressure. I would still call b/c your DC will need to be seen.
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

His eardrum shouldn't have ruptured--that's the whole point of the tube is to let the pressure/fluid clear without building up to the point of infection/rupture. DDs eardrum ruptured before we got tubes for her and there was quite a bit of pus and maybe a bit of blood but the pus was the dramatic part. Is the blood red (fresh) or brown (old, or perhaps not blood at all)?

ETA: If you had him at urgent care I assume they looked to make sure the tubes hadn't gotten clogged? A clogged tube might lead to a lack of proper drainage and perhaps a rupture.
    momma to DD 12/08 & DS 3/13

HIU8 is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

It is the point of the tubes, right. My ENT did say it could still happen though. So far with the one infection for DD it was just a lot of puss. I love the tubes so far!!
    Heather

DS 2004
    DD 2007

My daughter had tubes continuously for almost 5 years. We did have a handful of infections with drainage, and sometimes that drainage was bloody. The ENT and the ped were never concerned, as it resolved after a few days.

Certainly call to see if your ped wants to check it out in person, but bloody EI drainage with tubes is not unusual or typically a cause for concern.
    Green Tea, mom to three

Quote Originally Posted by Green_Tea View Post
    My daughter had tubes continuously for almost 5 years. We did have a handful of infections with drainage, and sometimes that drainage was bloody. The ENT and the ped were never concerned, as it resolved after a few days.

Certainly call to see if your ped wants to check it out in person, but bloody EI drainage with tubes is not unusual or typically a cause for concern.
    Phew, thank you, that helps! The ENT did say he wanted to see him but no rush and to just make an appt tomorrow. He didn't sound concerned.

DH has been unemployed for 2+ mos, and I am SAHM, so I am not looking forward to another copay+coins (after urgent care yesterday) but that's a petty gripe, I know.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast