Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    srhs is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Snow mom View Post
    His eardrum shouldn't have ruptured--that's the whole point of the tube is to let the pressure/fluid clear without building up to the point of infection/rupture. DDs eardrum ruptured before we got tubes for her and there was quite a bit of pus and maybe a bit of blood but the pus was the dramatic part. Is the blood red (fresh) or brown (old, or perhaps not blood at all)?

ETA: If you had him at urgent care I assume they looked to make sure the tubes hadn't gotten clogged? A clogged tube might lead to a lack of proper drainage and perhaps a rupture.
    Quote Originally Posted by HIU8 View Post
    It is the point of the tubes, right. My ENT did say it could still happen though. So far with the one infection for DD it was just a lot of puss. I love the tubes so far!!
    Feeling like a moron, but I didn't know that. I thought the point of the tubes was to help his pretty-horizontal ear canals drain better so they didn't get so clogged up and prone to infection.
    It makes sense now that you say it, but I hadn't thought about them that way. Strange that the ENT didn't mention that, but he is pretty laid back and doesn't give a lot of details unless I press.

We didn't have tubes, but we had this happen with our baby once, when he was about 10 mos old. He had been diagnosed with an ear infection on Saturday, and during the ear exam the Doc (not his Doc) had puffed the air into his ear. Sunday morning I noticed dried crusty blood in his ear & totally panicked, b/c to me the ear is not an oriface blood should ever come out of. I called the emergency nurse line, the nurse was super calm and ho-hum. He asked me if I scraped together the blood, would it be less than the eraser on a pencil. The answer was no, and we were free to go on w/ our day, w/o even a follow up with the Doc. Nurse said the eardrum can get a tiny tear, probably from the pressure of the infection paired with the air puff, and that it would heal up on it's own, and the only thing a Doc would do is put him on antibiotics. I just wished the Doc would have warned us that this could happen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2