Jenn27 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Default Farms: Ikea vs Little People

I love the new farm toy at Ikea and so did DD (23 months). However, we have the LP farm. She also loves the LP farm. My SIL wants to get her the Ikea one for her birthday (or Christmas) but I'm afraid it might be overkill. The LP farm is one of our 3 plastic toys and *I* would be ok to get rid of it but I wouldn't want DD to be upset. Which do you think has more longevity? Is it too much to have two? I do like that the Ikea one folds up and can be used for travel since we just moved 3 hours from all of our family. I could also use the money for some doll clothes for the doll we are getting her for Christmas... Input?? TIA!

if she already loves the little people farm...i'd stick with that. i do think that two farm toys might be overkill and why risk that you would be getting rid of the one she likes better? ykwim?

that said- i DO love the ikea farm toys and i love the little people farm, & my child LOVES little people (and relaly really loved them last year) we do not have the little people farm because i got a screaming deal on the plan barn & tractor (not the animals , but of course had to buy them)-- the plan barn gets lots of play (when we pull it out, i rotate stuff. i tend to be overkill about toys, so i understand the impulse, especially if your kid likes "farm" themed things-- mine did/does! (and full disclosure- i DID get the IKEA animals-- i really like the swan & three pigs that are stuck together*eyeroll*)

i'd go for doll clothes! (another full disclosure-- my child LOVES to dress things--herself, dolls, stuffed animals, me, books...seriously EVERYTHING! this is the #1 independent time activity with books a close second)

Thanks! I think I may get the extra animals set since it's the pigs she is really after and leave it at that. She can use them in her LP farm or wherever. She is not obsessed with farms or anything either, so that's a factor. I'd ditch the LP for the Plan Farm any day I think doll clothes is the way to go since she seems to be getting interested and her doll has just one outfit

Neatfreak is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Could the Ikea farm be kept with the family members who are three hours away, perhaps?
    ~ Laura

One in 2004 and the other one in 2008

Yes, it could definitely stay back home, however my parents and ILs both have a decent stash of toys for her to play with and SIL is the one getting the gift, but we just visit there briefly. It's out of stock at our Ikea and if it stays that way I won't have to worry about it! Lol

i gave up on taking too many toys to my moms when i realized she has a great stash , and my kid isn't interested in her toys from home once we get there i think you are right to go with doll clothes-- i really think those are something that you get what you pay for. the cheaper the clothes, thye more frustration to get them on/off, or they get destroyed from toddler play. since it's gift money, i'd go nicer-- your child will enjoy the difference!

i gave up on taking too many toys to my moms when i realized she has a great stash , and my kid isn't interested in her toys from home once we get there i think you are right to go with doll clothes-- i really think those are something that you get what you pay for. the cheaper the clothes, thye more frustration to get them on/off, or they get destroyed from toddler play. since it's gift money, i'd go nicer-- your child will enjoy the difference!