Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I think it is great you are going for PT. I am a PT too, though that is not my area of specialty. That being said, I know a few PT friends who have gone to the course by Janet Hulme, PT, who is one of the PT gurus in this area.

This is an area I want to get into down the road in my career, a big part due to self interest. I have had issues since high school! I remember peeing myself at the end of a cross country meet when I had to sprint the last few hundred yards. And to this day, I do jumping jacks, or any type of jumping and it is not long before I start to leak.

I need to get treated myself, but have not done so. I keep putting it on the back burner. I have done some of the exercises for this problem but have not been diligent enough. I'll need to get on this more consistently, otherwise I'll wind up wearing Depends, lol.
    Marcy

DD1 2003
    DD2 2005
    DD3 2009

boltfam is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

I went to my ob/gyn and found out I have a cystocele. My doc said it would need to be surgically fixed when DH and I are done having babies. Would PT help a cystocele?

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by boltfam View Post
    I went to my ob/gyn and found out I have a cystocele. My doc said it would need to be surgically fixed when DH and I are done having babies. Would PT help a cystocele?
    It can help, but obviously the degree of relief you might get would depend on your individual situation. IME, many docs do not even offer pelvic floor PT as an option to patients, so it is something you might want to check on for yourself. My mom has a cystocele and is doing much better after completing a PT program. I would consider getting in touch with some of the contacts on the APTA website and get an evaluation to determine whether you are a good candidate for PT.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Quote Originally Posted by brittone2 View Post
    It can help, but obviously the degree of relief you might get would depend on your individual situation. IME, many docs do not even offer pelvic floor PT as an option to patients, so it is something you might want to check on for yourself. My mom has a cystocele and is doing much better after completing a PT program. I would consider getting in touch with some of the contacts on the APTA website and get an evaluation to determine whether you are a good candidate for PT.

Thanks so much for your reply! Yeah, my doc never mentioned it - I just happened upon this thread right after my appointment, and it got me thinking. I will check the APTA website. I don't think there was anyone in my area on the site, but maybe they can refer someone?

BTW: I swear you're my go-to-girl on most things health-related. I always appreciate your willingness to help me out.

brittone2 is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by boltfam View Post
    Thanks so much for your reply! Yeah, my doc never mentioned it - I just happened upon this thread right after my appointment, and it got me thinking. I will check the APTA website. I don't think there was anyone in my area on the site, but maybe they can refer someone?

BTW: I swear you're my go-to-girl on most things health-related. I always appreciate your willingness to help me out.
    there are PTs that take continuing ed seminars/classes to learn how to handle pelvic floor patients, etc. They won't all be listed on the APTA site. You could try calling around to a few outpatient places and asking if they know of anyone, or if you have any midwives in your area, IME they are a little more apt to refer out for pelvic floor PT than many OBs. There are a lot more PTs that do pelvic floor PT than there were 5+ years ago. Ideally I'd try to find someone who does a good bit of it, but just start calling outpatient PT practices and see if they offer it or have any idea who might in your area.

HTH! My mom had a great experience and is doing much better w/ her cystocele. I know hers was bulging into her vagina but I'm not sure what degree she was dealing with. I know her urogyn wanted her to have surgery and my mom no longer feels surgery is necessary in her case...she's very happy with the outcome.

FWIW, this is totally not an area of PT I have any personal experience with whatsoever, other than knowing there are some great PTs out there for pelvic floor stuff, and that many women aren't presented with it as an option even when it may help. My only experience is some minimal discussion when I was in grad school (it was kind of a new area of practice back then) and then my mom's personal experience with it. I have no idea how PTs in this area of practice decide what is too far advanced for PT to really provide any relief.
    Last edited by brittone2; 12-04-2010 at 03:17 PM.
    Mama to DS-2004
    DD-2006
    and a new addition-ds born march 2010

Quote Originally Posted by brittone2 View Post
    there are PTs that take continuing ed seminars/classes to learn how to handle pelvic floor patients, etc. They won't all be listed on the APTA site. You could try calling around to a few outpatient places and asking if they know of anyone, or if you have any midwives in your area, IME they are a little more apt to refer out for pelvic floor PT than many OBs. There are a lot more PTs that do pelvic floor PT than there were 5+ years ago. Ideally I'd try to find someone who does a good bit of it, but just start calling outpatient PT practices and see if they offer it or have any idea who might in your area.

HTH! My mom had a great experience and is doing much better w/ her cystocele. I know hers was bulging into her vagina but I'm not sure what degree she was dealing with. I know her urogyn wanted her to have surgery and my mom no longer feels surgery is necessary in her case...she's very happy with the outcome.

FWIW, this is totally not an area of PT I have any personal experience with whatsoever, other than knowing there are some great PTs out there for pelvic floor stuff, and that many women aren't presented with it as an option even when it may help. My only experience is some minimal discussion when I was in grad school (it was kind of a new area of practice back then) and then my mom's personal experience with it. I have no idea how PTs in this area of practice decide what is too far advanced for PT to really provide any relief.
    Yeah, I think mine is pretty advanced, but it's definately worth a call to area PTs and see if it can be helped with PT. My doc recommended waiting until I'm done having children before having the surgery, so even if it can just get me through until surgery, it would be helpful. Thanks again!

amm40 is offline Silver level (200+ posts)

Anyone else do a couple kegels every time you scroll past this post?

Quote Originally Posted by amm40 View Post
    Anyone else do a couple kegels every time you scroll past this post?

Yes I do!
    --Mimi
    Mom to Lala (2004), Bonus Mom to Big Sis 1 (1991) and Big Sis 2 (1992)
    Grammy to Big Kindy Kid (2011), Big Pre-K Kid (2012),
    Grandbaby Appendage (2014), and New Baby Grandboy (summer 2017)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2