khalloc is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Default Questions on buying twin mattress for toddler

We need to buy a twin mattress for DS's new Lightning McQueen bed that he is getting for Xmas. Right now he has a very firm foam crib mattress. I forget the name of it, but its the one that was recommended by Baby Bargains when I had DD 5 years ago. Its very firm.

DH's thinking is that we dont need to get a great mattress since its going to be for a 2 year old. He's about 32 pounds. Its not like the springs and coils are going to be doing alot of work. And at some point when he is a bit older we will upgrade to a full-sized. I'm thinking he will sleep in this for at the most 5 years.

Can I just buy a cheap brand name firm mattress on Sears.com for < $200? or should I really go and test them out? Should I think about a plush mattress? Or stick with firm since that is what his crib mattress is? I figre you can always buy an egg crate or something to make it softer.

WWYD?
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

kbud is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

Do you have an Ikea near by. they have inexpensive good mattresses, less than $100. If you don't, I'd say yeah you can go cheap for a kid unless he is a bad sleeper.

I'd have to drive to Montral to go to an ikea and i'd rather shoot myself than go there....looks like I'm stuck with sears.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

LMPC is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Many of our mattress stores around here have closeouts and older models for under $200. May be an alternative to sears. BTW, we are in the market for a mattress for a 2 yo too -- wasn't thinking about spending a wad of cash on it either.
    Mommy to a total chatterbox
    DD now tells me she prefers to be known as a
    DD 10/08

Well, here's my two cents:

We chose an inexpensive twin mattress for DD's big girl bed thinking along the same lines as you. She used to always complain about it, but she's never been a good sleeper.

Well, when little brother was on his way, she got the guest room queen bed with a decent mattress and we put her twin in his room with his crib. I slept on that mattress for several months when he was an infant and I will say that it was awful! I put layers and layers of thick comforters on top of it and could still feel springs.

So the moral of the tale is, maybe don't buy the top of the line mattress, but don't buy the bottom either because you never know where/who else might use it down the line and there really is a difference.
    Christina
    DD 9/04
    DS 7/09

codex57 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Costco has a $150 mattress which I don't think is too bad. That said, the kiddos do sleep more soundly when they're on the more expensive beds.

My DD has slept on 5 different mattresses. I've also slept on them with her. I've found that she did not sleep well on the ones that are also uncomfortable for me. Vice versa. When she sleeps well, I sleep well. So I'd say.. try them out yourself and get a really good bed. Good luck bed hunting!

Well I was going to buy a brand name mattress, like a Sealy or Serta from Sears. Online says the original price is $340, on sale for $170 or so. Is that still a cheap mattress? I just cant see spending $600.

He is a good sleeper for the most part. Sleeps all night. Sometimes wakes too early, but not usually. Mostly he's good for 10 or 10.5 hours of straight sleep a night.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008

codex57 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Our Costco US$150 mattress is from Sealy. I've seen similarly priced ones (altho a few bucks more usually) at Sears and other places that feel about the same.

So yeah, they'd be considered "cheap" mattresses even tho they have brand names. Don't think they'll be adequate for adults (ours only has a 3 yr warranty vs the more standard 5 or 10), but I figure if we can stretch it til they hit 10 (we're not very heavy), that'll be more than worth it for us.

I guess I am going to have to try some out. DDs mattress was mine from college that my parents bought at Costco. I think its comfortable. It's a simmons. I just don't wasn't to spend a lot since we will upgrade him to a full sized when he gets sick of having a car shaped bed.
    DD 11/2005
    DS 4/2008