Default Suggestions for cleaning corroded battery connection in toy?

It worked!!! I really didn't think I had much of a shot and was so excited when it powered on. Thanks very much!

I just realized this got moved to the cleaning(?) section. Um, okay. I know it has the word "cleaning" in it but this is the last place I would've thought of putting it or looking for it! I kind of thought Around the House maybe but since it was specifically about how to fix a toy...okay. At least it worked and I found it. And I've never been in this particular forum before so I got to visit somewhere new.

----------------------------

It's a LeapFrog product that for some silly reason I put away for a year and never realized it had batteries in it (a brand new in box toy!). The other ones are fine but in this one, one of the batteries corroded/rusted the connection. I wrote to LeapFrog and they suggested cleaning it with an eraser and a cotton swab (which I've done, but still no luck). And it's out of warranty and they no longer even seem to make it (not that I would've bought a new one, I don't think).

Not sure that it matters but it's Letter Crazy and uses 3 AA batteries. Only one of the connections is corroded/rusted. I'm assuming it worked fine before that but I don't honestly know if I tried it.

Any other suggestions before I give up?
    Last edited by sidmand; 12-05-2010 at 11:45 PM. Reason: Update
    Debbie

Kymberley is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

I had to clean one of DS's toy's battery connections, and I believe I used a Q-tip and alcohol. It worked! I'd google it just to be sure. Good luck!

An emory board will sand off any excess rust/corrosion and then you can use some rubbing alcohol. I just did this with our Leap Frog talking globe - the spring corroded because of an old battery Worked like a charm!
    Karen
    -----------
    Mom to 2 hockey-playing, Lego-loving boys DS1 2003 & DS2 2005

Kymberley is offline Sapphire level (2000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Meatball Mommie View Post
    An emory board will sand off any excess rust/corrosion and then you can use some rubbing alcohol. I just did this with our Leap Frog talking globe - the spring corroded because of an old battery Worked like a charm!
    That was the step I was forgetting.

trales is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

If the emory board, alcohol q-tip does not work, you could try a q-tip with vinegar and then plain q-tip.
    Tracey

DD1 3/07 Itching to take over the universe.
    DD2 1/14 My mellow little snuggler.

Thanks very much. I'll give that a try.
    Debbie

cntrymoon2 is offline Platinum level (1000+ posts)

I did this last night with vinegar and qtips. good luck!