Default Any safe Nerf gun suggestions for young kids?

I am not a big fan of gun play, but DS1's only wish list item is a toy gun. I got him a bunch of other things already, but I know he will be so thrilled if he gets the toy gun. Does anyone have a suggestion for one that shoots the foam missiles and is safe for little ones? He is 4 going on 5 in a few months, and we also have a 2-year-old. Against my better judgment I'm also considering getting him a Buzz lightyear shooter, because he loves everything his brother does. Am I nuts?
    Mom to DS1 (3/06) and DS2 (9/08)

naam is offline Copper level (50+ posts)

No real-life experience but I just took the plunge into toy guns and my DSs (ages 8 and 5.5) will be getting these from Santa.

http://www.amazon.com/Nerf-N-Strike-...2954925&sr=8-3

I tested them and they seem "gentle" enough. The darts don't seem to shoot out at a fast enough rate for anyone to get hurt. You can find them cheaper than Amazon. They had them for $6 (50% off) the other day at Kohl's.

smilequeen is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

My son has a nerf gun that they use for boys night out at the gymnastics place they go to. We had to try a few. The smaller dart guns seem to 1. be the easiest for him to use and 2. the least forceful. The darts will get lost but it's easy to get more.

The nerf guns require them to pull back on a handle and then push the button and the handle on the bigger ones were kind of difficult to pull back, even for my 6 yo. I think we have the same one naam posted.
    Last edited by smilequeen; 12-21-2010 at 03:21 PM.
    Mama to my boys (04,07,11)

urquie is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

no experience with this, but i ordered a marshmallow shooter that is going in a stocking exchange/gift game.

http://www.amazon.com/Marshmallow-Fu...2959620&sr=1-1

SnuggleBuggles is online now Black Diamond level (25,000+ posts)

Ds1 has a Nerf one that holds dart type things. My 3yo loves it but needs help using it. It seems safe to me.

Beth

Quote Originally Posted by naam View Post
    No real-life experience but I just took the plunge into toy guns and my DSs (ages 8 and 5.5) will be getting these from Santa.

http://www.amazon.com/Nerf-N-Strike-...2954925&sr=8-3

I tested them and they seem "gentle" enough. The darts don't seem to shoot out at a fast enough rate for anyone to get hurt. You can find them cheaper than Amazon. They had them for $6 (50% off) the other day at Kohl's.
    I think this is the Nerf model I was looking at on amazon. I may have to try Kohl's, though I don't know when I would get there, as my DSs are home all week. The 1-click order would be so much easier! :-)

Corie is offline Pink Diamond level (15,000+ posts)

We have quite a few Nerf guns! A fun night in our house is when
    we turn all the lights off and my husband & son put on their Cyclops
    Night Vision goggles. Then it's time for a Nerf war. We usually
    set up 2 different flags somewhere in the house and they each need
    to capture the other's flag before getting shot.
    Corie

"A smile is a curve that can set a lot of things straight."
    -fortune cookie

Quote Originally Posted by Corie View Post
    How fun!

We aren't fans of guns in our house, either, however our boys are turning everything they can get their hands on into guns. They will take Lego's and make guns out of them. Lincoln logs, empty toilet paper rolls, whatever.

My 6 year old badly wants a Nerf gun for xmas, so I picked up two N Strike nerf guns at Kmart during a black friday sale for $5 each. I think it's called N Strike Maverick. I picked up two for my boys (6 years and 3 years), then turned around and grabbed a third for the third boy (36 years). Because even though he originally complained that I gave in and bought them guns, he is going to want to play with them.

Also, my worry is that they would hurt each other with them, too, so I looked really closely at the Nerf darts. The darts are soft foam, but they have suction cup ends. I wanted just a very soft foam pellet because I know my boys are going to end up using them on each other in close range. I picked up some extra Nerf darts that are just soft foam (no suction cup ends) I think they are called Nerf whistler darts.
    Last edited by artvandalay; 12-21-2010 at 06:14 PM.

kboyle is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Corie View Post
    we are a huge Nerf-lovin' family over here too! we've got TONS from the small "regular" nerf guns (like in the above link...except we got our reg price from target for $8-10, not $14) to the shotgun style where you have to load bullets in shells to mini pump & shoot keychain type (they were $4 at the target checkout)...nothing has hurt the kids and dh has "aimed to kill" lol. dh & the kids often like to wake me up with shots from the nerf on sunday mornings...but then i get breakfast in bed, lol.

i havent found one type to hurt more than another. the smaller ones are easier to shoot/load though...it is quite difficult, ds1/7yo just mastered it this summer, ds2/5yo still needs help.
    Kristine, Supermommy to
    Charlie (6/2003), Max (8/2005) & Ernie (5/2007)