Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    infomama is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

Default Netflix streaming selection lame?

What do you all think? Is it lame? Is it just a coincidence that the first six or so movies I chose aren't available to instantly stream. I'm on a month free trial right now.

wellyes is offline Blue Diamond level (20,000+ posts)

Yup, lame. Better than not having it though.

I like this site: http://instantwatcher.com/
    DD - 8
    DS - 5

It's a bit lame, especially if you're looking for the newest titles, but it's going to get better. Netflix announced that next year they're going to invest less in disc purchases and more in online streaming licenses. I think I'll have to go to the $7.99/month streaming-only package.

Adults are just obsolete children and the hell with them.
    --Dr. Seuss

Penelope Grace
    Born 02.25.2010

DebbieJ is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The instant selection changes too. So just because it's not there now doesn't mean it won't be soon.
    ~ deb
    DS1 Dec 2003
    DS2 Sept 2009

I thought so too and I was complaining to my SIL, who is a big-time movie watcher. She told me a trick though - the availability of "instant" movies on Netflix changes almost daily. She said to just make a big queu of all the movies you want to watch and check back often. Sometimes a particular movie will be available for instant viewing for a couple of days and then it will go back to mail only.

HTH!
    Karen
    -----------
    Mom to 2 hockey-playing, Lego-loving boys DS1 2003 & DS2 2005

scrooks is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by Meatball Mommie View Post
    I thought so too and I was complaining to my SIL, who is a big-time movie watcher. She told me a trick though - the availability of "instant" movies on Netflix changes almost daily. She said to just make a big queu of all the movies you want to watch and check back often. Sometimes a particular movie will be available for instant viewing for a couple of days and then it will go back to mail only.

HTH!
    Interesting! Very good tip! Thanks!
    DD 7/07
    DS1 9/09
    DS2 7/13

I find many more documentaries and TV shows available for streaming than general movies. Good to know it changes so often though but we just stick a bunch in our queue and then if we want to watching something streaming (which DH does way more often than I do) we just check the instant queue and see what we'd like to see at that moment.

So rather than go in to watch something specific, we more go in and see what ones are available to watch and then choose.
    Debbie

I've also noticed that the selection from Netflix.com is better than accessing directly from the streaming queue. I always make my selections from the web.
    ~C~

Mama to a curious daughter born in May 2006 and a persistent son born in July 2008.

fivi2 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

The streaming selection isn't great for movies, but I am noticing more tv shows on there. And lot of kids' shows which is great because then I don't have to waste a disc order on kids' stuff. (fyi, you can set up different lists in your account - so we get 3 discs a month, two from the grown up list and one from the kids list - so when a kid movie goes back the next kid one comes, when an adult goes back, the next adult one comes. Before I figured that out I had to constantly adjust our list to make sure the right movie came)

My big problem with Netflix right now is that they release new releases (on disc) so much later than everyone else. I don't know who worked out what deal, but the on demand movies usually come out when dvds are released, but netflix gets them a month later. This seems to be getting worse lately, no clue why. But it bugs me.

I still love netflix though!
    Last edited by fivi2; 12-23-2010 at 12:40 PM.

codex57 is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

Quote Originally Posted by MommyofAmaya View Post
    I've also noticed that the selection from Netflix.com is better than accessing directly from the streaming queue. I always make my selections from the web.
    Yeah, it's weird. If I happen to stream from a TV or my iPhone, I'll search from a computer first before streaming it. I am running out of things to watch tho. I don't feel like starting a new series at the moment.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast