Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Does anyone use a big purse instead of a diaper bag?

I am having a hard time finding a diaper bag that I like. I am thinking about just getting a bigger purse and using that. I suppose my concerns with doing this would be that I won't find one with stroller straps or side pockets for a sippy cup.

Anyone else just use a big purse? Are there enough organizational pockets to make it functional? Is there one in particular that you like?

I really wanted to like the Skip Hop Studio but it was just a tad too bulky. I loved all the pockets, though. I keep thinking I could just go back to it because it was the nicest of all I've tried. Part of me likes a cross body style, though. Ugh. I can never find the perfect diaper bag... and I've been looking for years it seems.

I do that sometimes. I just use one of the big Vera Bradley bags like this: http://www.verabradley.com/product/C...1/p/154817.uts

I use a Mommy Clip to clip it to the stroller if I need to. There isn't a place to put a sippy or a bottle. If I want to bring DD a sippy (she is a bit young for them so I don't do this often), I just keep the liquid in a water bottle and pour it into the sippy as needed. I also have a diaper bag, but I use this more often for quick outtings.

Now that DS is older and I carry less, I have been using a pruse. And was pleasantly suprised that my Coach purse that happens to have pockets on the sides can fit a bottle in said pockets. I will need to look up which purse it is, I got it at the outlet...
    DS 1/10 "boo-boo"

I had a nicer diaper bag for DS 7 years ago but IMO even nice diaper bags always look like diaper bags. It took my a long time to get pg again. I promised myself if I was lucky enough I would splurge on an amazing handbag to use as a diaper bag, justifying it by saying I would use it for years after. I did- huge splurge- Louis Vuitton. And I love it. I just put things in plastic sandwhich bags inside if I think they are going to be messy. I've never had an issue with it and I take it everywhere. You couldn't pay me to carry a diaper bag again.

♥ms.pacman♥ is offline Red Diamond level (10,000+ posts)

i'm another one that uses an LV purse for the most part. neverfull or totally are good ones that are big enough to hold extra stuff (toys, sippies, etc).

i'm also one that hates to carry around bags that look like diaper bags (those big cube-like things). we have a columbia trekster diaper bag backpack. i stuff that with all the crap i could possibly need for ds (extra outfit, bibs, dipes, wipes, snacks, changing pad, you name it). then when i go places with ds (like grocery store, etc) i usually just take in my purse and leave the diaper bag in the car and only toss the essentials (toys, snack, etc) in my purse. i've never needed full diaper bag in store anyway. when we go for long outings we just dump the diaper bag backpack in the basket of the vista, and i carry my own purse.
    Last edited by ♥ms.pacman♥; 12-29-2010 at 05:28 PM.

ang79 is offline Diamond level (5000+ posts)

Now that my girls are 2 and 4 I use mostly purses. My Vera Bradley Cargo Sling and Lesportsac Everyday bag are great for shopping because I can wear them cross-body. And I have a Vera Bradley Pleated Tote which has two outside pockets that fit sippies well. The inside organization isn't that great (just 3 little slip pockets and a large zipper one), but I use organizer bags like JuJuBe BeQuicks and Lexie Barnes minis to hold dipes, wipes, spare clothes, toys, etc. It holds more than the first two bags I mentioned and would probably work for a baby. Another tote bag that I like that looks like a regular tote bag is the Fleurville Lark. The pockets inside are great sized for diapers and wipes case and I can fit a water bottle or sippies in the two outside side pockets, though the flaps don't close then. I actually use my Lark as my church tote, not for the girls stuff!

There are some companies that make nice leather diaper bags, like Not Rational and Ramalama. Very nice bags I've heard but also very pricey! Also, I think that the Storksak Emily looks like a nice larger purse.

My SIL uses a normal Columbia backpack as her diaper bag for two little ones. So you can use whatever you want as long as it works for you My only thought with using a purse is that sometimes you do get messes (leaking sippies or bottles, spilled snacks, or baby spit-up), so going with something washable might be a good thing (I can handwash my Lesportsac bag and machine wash my Vera Bradley bags).

I've tried to use a regular purse (bigger size with more pockets) but it all came down to me leaving it in the car, and carrying a Quick Changer, wristlet with my cards and money and a cooler with snacks for DD. The regular purse seemed so uncomfortable, finally I just got a Studio Tote and love it. Yes, it's spacious, but only a little bigger than my handbag I used to carry to work everyday! I don't fill it completely on our outings and it's good to know I have enough space for all the junk when we go for half a day (or longer) outing!
    You can find a great purse to use, I wanted a cute diaper bag for a change!
    My miracle girl 04.09.2009

salsah is offline Emerald level (3000+ posts)

absolutely. of course now that i don't need a diaper bag, i see nice ones that i want.

I used a medium-size briefcase. It had lots of sections and looked fantastic. I loved the little brass feet on the bottom - really made for a stable platform to be rooting around in with on hand. Held up *really* well, too - still looks just as nice as when I bought it NWT at a yard sale for $8.

This is the one:

http://compare.ebay.com/like/3206331...=263602_304662
    Last edited by ThreeofUs; 12-31-2010 at 09:50 AM.
    -Ivy

Parenting two active, wonderful boys

This is your world. Shape it or someone else will. -Gary Lew

I am tempted to do this, but I really need a sturdy pocket for sippy cups/bottles of milk.
    DS1 - 11/09
    DS2 - 7/11

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast